Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review for written assessment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melinda Athey

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Review for written assessment Reply with quote

As students prepare for the written assessment, I have them work in partners with their dry erase boards. They use the journal pages from the unit, which have the correct answers. They give each other problems to solve and then check. I give them suggestions as to which pages & problems to use and monitor their progress.
Charlotte Riechers

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: written assessment Reply with quote

Good idea having the students monitor themselves and challenge their partners. We have mini slate reviews before the checking progress, but never had students do the review themselves. That would allow more time to help the struggling students.
Tonia Harris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help students review for written assessment, I formulate a review sheet on the CD and send it home for students to work on with their parents. When they return it to school, I allow partners to discuss their answers and help each other with incorrect answers. Then, I allow volunteers to share their strategy on the overhead. If it doesn't make sense, my students quickly share their disapproval and this allows me to listen in as students explain why they agree or disagree with a solution posed on the overhead.

The best results that I've seen doing this method came during unit 5, place value. I did it during the unit I just finished Monday (unit 10) and I look forward to seeing how the class did on the written assessments that they took yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: