Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grade 3 Fraction Unit Chapter 8 EM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen Leff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Grade 3 Fraction Unit Chapter 8 EM Reply with quote

In case anyone else out there feels there has not been enough info in this particular chapter to adequately assess, here is a tip. Today I taught Lesson 9.3 Exploration C lesson. I made myself a huge note in Chap. 8 for next year to pull this lesson out before I give the Unit Written Assessment. There were no secure skills on this unit test and therefore my children did very poorly on it. Then I come to this exploration about fractions that would have really helped them on their test and it is too late for this year. I also would have added some secure skills to the test to help encourage those kids who majorly struggle with fractions.
Karen
Tonia Harris

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Ms. Leff's post about grade three, unit 8. My class had a rough time with the assessment, also. Since then, I have tried to continue reviewing the concepts through short problems when the students first walk into the room. I use the pre-cut shapes from the teacher store and cut them into fractions. For some problems, I'll post them randomly on the board and ask how many ___'s there are. There are also times when I stick a bunch on the board and ask children to convert the bunch into a mixed number. For example, I cut a pre-cut apple into fourths and placed a bunch on the board. I allowed volunteers to put the "puzzle" together to determine the mixed number. They were able to see that, by putting four fourths together, they formed a whole apple. This has helped some and I hope that the review that I have continued to provide in the mornings will stick with my students. Hopefully, this idea will help if you are still trying to review this concept.
Karen Leff

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: thanks Tonia Reply with quote

Thanks for a great idea Tonia, to reinforce the fractions. I like using the cheap cut outs. We even have a die cut machine in our building I can use. Thanks for sharing.
Karen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: