Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just the facts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milissa Daugherty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Just the facts! Reply with quote

I am a little frustrated. Confused I have many of my students this year who do not know and will not learn their math facts. I have tried games, family nights, send home activities, and time-filler activities to motivate the students to learn these. I have also given out special prizes to those who do well on the multiplication assessments. The fact that they are not familiar with these facts has caused much difficulty with the learning of multidigit multiplication and division. Does anyone have any of tricks up their sleeves to motivate these struggling learners to learn the facts?
Julie Rosner Sigmund

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: multiplication facts Reply with quote

Our fourth grade teachers had a multiplication competition. For successfully completing the challenge, students were able to attend a movie during the school day. If this sounds like it might help, I can get more details. Someone mentioned to me that the challenge was part of the EM curriculum at 4th grade. I teach 5th, so I am not sure.
Linda Bruene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a schoolwide Fact of the Day. If the numbers in the fact are 9 and 4, the first and second grades do 9+4 and the 3-5th grades do 9x4. The children write the fact on all of their papers all day long. They write the fact family. They are asked about the fact in the cafeteria by the principal. The fact is written on every teacher's board, both inside and outside the classroom. Hopefully this helps a few students to learn more of their facts.
Milissa Daugherty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Great Ideas Reply with quote

I love both of these ideas. I will definitely pass on the idea for the fact of the day! Very Happy
Marsha Bittner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Fact of the Day Reply with quote

Smile I have been out of school due to surgery for a week and my sub has been 'trying' to do EM. The first conversation was the fact that the students didn't know their multipication facts and couldn't do regrouping. I explained the EM sequence to her, but to no avail. I want ahead and made up regular times practice papers for her. When I return next week, I will check to see where we are. The Fact of the Day idea will be terrific to use, not only for review for the class, but to help get me back into the swing of things. Thanks, Marsha Bittner
Linda Bruene

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Goose is Cooked Reply with quote

You know how sometimes the strangest thing works with children? Well, after reading all of the EM posts about the math fact frustration, I told my students who do not have at least 70% on their times fact tests that "their goose was cooked." First of all, they didn't know that phrase and thought it sounded scary. I explained what it meant, and told them if their goose is cooked they are going to have multiplication fact worksheets (3 each night) until they learn their facts. I wrote letters to their parents explaining that mastering the facts is a secure goal in EM and an Indiana State Standard and that their children MUST do it and that they need their parents' help. I gave the usual suggestions in the letter about practicing the facts in the car, at dinner, during commercials, and so on. If they miss a fact, they have to write the whole fact 10 times, which has cut down on kids guessing their answers. Now, this goose cooked phrase is a common phrase in the classroom. They ask me if I've passed out the goose cooked homework. The next fact test is Tuesday and I think more than a few kids are motivated to get their geese UNCOOKED. It's funny when someone is visiting in our classroom and hears these matter of fact comments about the kids whose goose is cooked. I also had parents write back to me promising to work hard on the facts at home.
Lynn Beres

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Grade 3 Multiplication Facts Reply with quote

My students love looking up the answers to their facts, but when I assess them without using charts they have not transferred over to their long term memory. I gave them new names tags in cursive which conveniently do not have the fact charts any more. I plan to keep hitting the games, etc. but need to force them into trying to memorize them.
Lois Huntington

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Facts Reply with quote

This year, in our building, all grade levels are assigned a Fact of the Day. The first and second grades practice addition and subtraction facts. The third, fourth, and fifth grades all practice multiplication facts for the first two trimesters. Everyday the students are given one new fact which they write on all their papers along with the date and time. The students are asked the answer to the math fact at lunch. In order to get more practice with division, one of my students suggested our class have a Fact Family of the Day based on the grade level Fact of the Day. The children in my room write the fact family as part of their heading. Since it was their idea the children like to do this. It is fun to hear them make the connection between a fact we learn in EM and a fact of the day they have learned previously. This has helped the children learn their facts and have even more fun playing the EM multiplication games.
Patti Dason

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: facts Reply with quote

I LOVE the idea of the schoolwide fact of the day!
Anytime we have a free moment we get out the fact triangles. Plus, the games are really helping my kids learn some of the harder facts. Everyone knows 6 times 6 b/c of baseball mult. and Mult. Top it caused a lot of them to learn 6 times 8 and 7 times 7 or anything they missed that they had drawn from the cards.
Brynn Strahan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Math Facts Reply with quote

We do a little competition called 'Fact Stars' in my first grade room. The children started with +1 facts. When they get those, they get their picture on their own 'Fact Star' and then they get a star sticker. Then they will take home +2, when they get those, they just get a sticker on the star. When they get all the way to +9 - they get a candy bar from the teachers vending machine. They LOVE it. We try to do facts everyday. The kids get tested in front of their classmates, I feel it helps them practice and also helps motivate them.
Linda Bruene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Multiplication and division facts Reply with quote

My students are enjoying taking fact tests that have multiplication AND division facts all mixed up on them. Shockingly, they are always asking how soon we can take another one!! I told them I refuse to announce what day the tests will be given, because we should know our facts every day. The motivation level is great and the kids are enjoying mastering their basic facts.
Sherri Prast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Fact Power Progress Reply with quote

In my first grade class the students keep Fact Power Progress folders. The folders are used to chart their progress on 30 addition and subtraction facts. We start with facts less than 10. If they get two 30's in a row they get to move up a level. The next level is addition facts to 18. then it is subtraction from 10. then subtraction from 18. The students get 3 minutes to complete the 30 facts. They have to finish them in the correct order without skipping.( that way they won't just pick the easy ones) The motivation for them is when they improve, even if it is only by one, they get a treat out of the treasure box. We try to do this 2-3 times a week. This idea is similar to what the third grade has built into their program. I just adapted it to meet my needs. Since I have first grade I don't start these folders until after Spring Break, because I want to give them a chance to build their number sense and fact power with games first. Cool
Jeanette Krabill

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Learning facts Reply with quote

There are 4 sections of third grade at our school, so we decided to organize class competitions. We took beginning data on the students knowledge of the 2s,5s, and 10s (Indiana Standard). They studied hard for two weeks before taking a post test to check improvement. Now we are trying to master the 3s, 4s, and 6s and are taking 3 weeks to do it. We took a beginning assessment on week 1, a middle assessment on week 2, and will do a final assessment at the end of week 3. Then we will continue on the last three weeks of school learning the 7s,8s, and 9s. We have had a lot of fun comparing classes and have posted it on a bulletin board in the hallway. We use 18 facts and give 5 secs./fact as recommended by Everyday math. I think it is helping.
Angela Murphy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some that know their facts very well and others of course that struggle. I know that I have been told over and over to let them use those charts because eventually they will remember the facts after seeing them over and over. It is frustrating though when it is holding up other learning that is going on. I also used the large circles on the board with a number in the middle. The kids really enjoyed this.
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Multiplication Facts Reply with quote

The biggest motivator in my room has been that of using the 3-minute tests and having the students do the charting of their scores! This is the first year I have used the chart, and I have noticed a big difference in the level of interest and motivation. I admit it was very frustrating at first to have my fourth graders chart their own one-minute and three-minute scores. I can now say though that all are very proficient at it. They love seeing their growth - and I've noticed their willingness to encourage each other and praise others for their growth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Forum posts from 2004-2005 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: