Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

math night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Differentiated Instruction for Struggling and Advanced Learners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susanne Companiott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: math night Reply with quote

We are getting ready to do an informational math night. I am at the Pre-K level and I am trying to find the most important topics to cover. I would also like to make it more interactive not just a lecture situation. I would like your suggestions please.
Julie Rosner Sigmund

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: preK math night Reply with quote

First, I would recommend deciding what you want parents to walk away knowing or being able to do. If you want them to be able to support activities, then I would teach them some activities during the session that they could repeat at home with their child. Have them do the activity, so they really understand it. I would also look for games that they could use to practice at home. Then, I would review some of the papers that they may see that you send (family letters or parent info), so they understand what to look for and what to do if they need help.
Good luck!
Marcie Kiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Math Nights Reply with quote

We have held two math nights. We used the games in Book 1 in the Fall. We used games from Book 2 in the Spring. We used a center format with a teacher or teacher's assistant at each center. They taught the game and game a bag with the necessary supplies so that they could take the game home to play with their children. The parents that attended liked it tremendously. It was a good opportunity for staff to mingle with the community in a non-threatening environment.
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Make-It, Play-It, Take-It Reply with quote

We have hosted Make-It, Play-It, Take-It nights at all of our elementaries, and they have been well received. We have made a packet of games that can be played with the Everyday Math deck, and then gave each family a deck of cards to be transformed into the EM deck (with our instructions and assistance). They spend the remainder of the time playing games - and then have the games to take home! It has really been encouraging to see older brothers and sisters playing, too - and even grandparents!!
Rhonda McCort

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Food Incentives/Parent Night Reply with quote

At our parents nights, we have found that food is a big draw to the event. What we have also learned is that neighborhood food establishments are willing to donate chili, ice cream, etc. for the event. Also, we have used drawings (gift cards to fast food, toy stores, etc.) to add incentives. It has worked out very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Differentiated Instruction for Struggling and Advanced Learners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: