Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's my rule?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamey Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: What's my rule? Reply with quote

I love this lesson and I had to share. This lesson has become one of my student's favorite transitions. I gather all the children to the whole group area and grab my large pointer. Then I pretend like I am going fishing and I sing,"I'm going fishing.." and I catch fish that are wearing similar clothes, are all boys/girls, 5 or 6 year old fish, etc, the list is endless! Then they line up at the door for rr or specials. I tell them that fish out of water don't talk and that the other fish are waiting to be caught. This sounds silly, but it works and it really gets them thinking! They even do this on their own during choice time! Laughing
Rosie Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students last year loved this activity as well. They would try to come up with amazing things to stump all their friends(ex:earrings, belts,black shoelaces...) However, those students that weren't as creative were still successful. Cool
Kathryn Shippy Ziegler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: "Fishing" with Literacy Reply with quote

My class also enjoys "What's my Rule"! Recently I took it a step further and "fished" for children with the same letter in their first name. I was surprised by how quickly the children discovered my "rule". It was a great way to integrate math and literacy Very Happy
Adrienne Harrington

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new ideas. My school has adopted uniforms this year and I am finding myself challenged to search for new attributes to play this activity!
Jamey Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: What's my rule suggestions Reply with quote

another suggestion for what's my rule if you are fishing is to fish for birthdays! I also fish for 5 and 6 year olds, shoes that zip,tie,velcro,slip on, or boots! The children are getting very creative at making up their own too! I had one student fish for winter coats that were alike. This is one activity that is recycled alot in my room!
Sara Ann Marlow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: What's my rule? Reply with quote

My students love this game. They even request it. I make a big deal out of catching them & then I "throw" them all back into the water in a big net! They swim back & can't wait for their turn again. I even have a fishing crewmember and they come up and either conduct their own fishing problem or "help" me with mine. One time the student chose children in the room who are bi-lingual. Everyone tried to solve the "What's my Rule" problem. Finally, the little helper said" Easy, they are lucky fish they can speak 2 languages! It as really neat and it made those students proud. Very Happy
Paula Kitchen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school has uniforms also so I just have to be more creative about what I am looking for. We just played this again and we used the style of clothing - for instance long or short sleeves and turtlenecks. In warmer weather we can sort by shorts or pants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: