Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

measurement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean McCleary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: measurement Reply with quote

I attended a conference last week and learned an idea for creating a bean counter measuring tool. You need clear packaging tape and large lima beans. To make the tool you lay a 14" piece of packaging tape on the table sticky side up. Place 10 lima beans end to end in the middle of the tape as shown. Fold the top of the tape down, the bottom up, and seal. Trim off the ends. Children take the bean counter and place it on the end of the object to be measured. How many beans ling is the object? You can ask them to find things that are 5 beans long, 10 beans, long, ect.
Marsha Frey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean,

What a neat idea. I will give that a try. Sounds like a good measuring tool to add to the math center. Thanks for sharing.
Jamey Knight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: measurement Reply with quote

After gathering leaves on our nature walk, we did a varitey of math activities with our leaves in centers. First we measured the length of our leaves with unifix cubes and recorded our findings in our booklets. Then we measured the width by seeing how many pennies would fit inside our leaves and recorded our findings, then after predicting whether or not a leaf would float (they float!) we used real pennies to see how many pennies it would take to sink the leaf, and of course we recorded our findings! Finally after classifying our leaves as large, medium, or small, we stood up and dropped our leaves to the ground while counting to see how long it would take. Ever since this lesson, the children have continued to gather leaves at recess and do the lessons again during center time! We covered so many lessons in such a hand-on way! Smile
Judith Lazar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what great ideas from a simple, easily found item! We always did leaf rubbings, and now will add thease activities. Thanks!
Sara Ann Marlow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: bringing measurement and graphing together Reply with quote

My students enjoy unifix cubes. So to measue the length of their foot, I gave them a handfull of cubes and modeled how to measure by measuring mine with the ecubes. I partnered them up with a peer and they measured each others foot. They enjoyed this task. I then had them compare the length of their unifix foot lenght with their neighbor's. Did theirs have a greater number or smaller number. They counted the cubes & then we made a graph of how mant feet we 6 cubes long, 7 cubes etc. This way we incorporated many skillls at once. We alkso tallied the number in each colum. We learned a lot & had fun in the process! Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: