Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Lessons: Voronoi Diagrams and Museum Guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Mathematical Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Terwilliger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Two Lessons: Voronoi Diagrams and Museum Guard Reply with quote

These are the two problems that I have taught this year in my classroom.

Voronoi Diagrams - This lesson went very well, with my 9th/10th grade geometry classes. This was a 1.5-2 day lesson in the context of how extremely territorial birds mark their territory. From my experience in this lesson, I would recommend starting with a lower number of nests (2) and then work your way towards a more complicated amount (7 or so).

Extensions included other real world examples (cell phone territories, pizza chain delivery areas, styrofoam cups), and the voro glide website (I have forgotten the URL, just GOOGLE voro glide).

Museum Guards Problem - Again, taught this lesson with my 9th/10th grade geometry classes. This was a 5 day lesson (45 minutes per period). I required 2 components, a 2 page double spaced paper and a group presentation. The problem was solved and presented in groups of 2-3. The papers went really well, each team was required to state their assumptions of the problem, how and where they placed their cameras, and how they knew their placement of cameras was the best.

The presentations went "roulette" style. I set up 5 stations around the room where groups presented their projects as if they were in a science fair, with the remainder of the classroom moving around from station to station after about 5 minutes or so. Each group needed a visual aid to back up their argument, and I set the presentation rubric so that each group could be as creative as possible.

I got EXTREMELY creative presentations. The highlight had to be a team building a scale model of a room with interesting walls and corners with lego blocks. They then took a laser pointer and rotated it around the lego structure where they thought their cameras should be. Other teams created brochures, made videos, and came up with very interactive ways of optimizing their solution.

Overall a very FUN project, one I intend to do in years to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Mathematical Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: