Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assessment Tools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandee May

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carolyn! I was wondering if you cloned problems so that you can make them into any value or stated any way you wanted. With that CD you shouldn't have to go outside the program too much...the types of problems will probably repeat, but that's okay isn't it?
Linda Thorne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: assessment Reply with quote

On days when we are not doing a new lesson, such as explorations that take two days, or game days, I make my math message a secure goal exit slip. I then use this as an additional grade. That usually gives me at least one additional grade a week.
I like the idea shared on counting points for math boxes instead of a percentage. I too have struggled with that.
Shannon Wilkerson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to assess the math boxes. But last year, I went crazy trying to grade them all. This year, I grade the second of the paired math boxes. If you look in the section that tells about the math box, it tells which one it is paired with. It is usually every other one. For example, 3.1 would be paired with 3.3. We do 3.1 together. I tell them it goes with 3.3. I tell them I will grade 3.3. When we get to 3.3, I remind them to look back at 3.1 if they need help.

I grade some of the study links. I don't really have a system. Some of them we go over together, and some I grade.

I make up a quiz from the assessment CD. Sometimes, I will even send something home from the assessment CD.

Hope this helps.

Have a Great New Year.

Shannon Wilkerson
Sharon Kramer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: 2nd Gr. Assessments thru 4.4 Reply with quote

Carlynn,
Thanks for sending these to Mary. Very Happy Have you seen them anywhere on this site yet? I wonder if John is doing something with them. John?? Sharon
John LaMaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Assessments Reply with quote

I have them right now and and preparing them for the Web. Here's the first cut:

http://www.indiana.edu/~iucme/elementary/resources/#samplesgrade2
Monica Condon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: weekly assessment Reply with quote

I have a weekly assessment on Fridays across all subject areas called a Show What You Know (SWYK). It is usually one sheet of paper. The front contains questions about what we have been studying that week in science / social studies, and lanaguage arts. The back reviews what we have studied in math. (I create this part of the assessment using the assessment CD.) We do not give letter grades so it also serves as a tool to communicate with parents about student progress. I correct them and students take them home on Monday for a parent signature and return them on Tuesday.

Last edited by Monica Condon on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monica Condon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: returning homework Reply with quote

There was some discussion of how to get homework returned...My students have a binder we call the Learning Log. Each day they complete a sheet that includes: our daily agenda, home work, a daily reflection (3 plusses and a wish) about the day, and a life skills reflection. Parents are to sign the Learning Log nightly. Each morning I check the Learning Log for a signature and for returned homework. If the Log is completely filled out, signed, and the homework completed (whether it is correct or not) they earn a $1.00 of our classroom mini-economy money. If it is not completed a note goes into the Learning Log so the parents know it was not completed and it also reminds the student to get it finished. The note is repeated daily until the work is completed. It takes a while for the students to get into the routine at the beginning of the year but once they realize that I am going to be consistent and relentless most of them get on board. This doesn't insure 100% return daily but it does increase the homework return rate.
Laura Hughes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Having a hard copy of a slate assessment Reply with quote

There are so many great ideas here for using assessment strategies. One thing I like to do with my second graders is have them use their wipe off boards and I pass out one transparency to each student. This is theirs for the year and stays in the middle of our teams under the slates. When I do an assessment that I need a hard copy of I will have my students put their transparency on top of the wipe off boards, or slates and write out the answers. I must ask them to initial or write their names. This way when I'm short on time I have something to look at later. This has probably already been mentioned so I hope I have not used someone else’s idea.

Thanks,
Laura Hughes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> Assessment Strategies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: