Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha Frey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Coins Reply with quote

We have been exploring the coins as suggested in the activities book. Many of my students are confusing the names of the coins. Does anyone remember the money songs that we heard at IMI training? Thanks.
Heidi Moore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the money songs but I do have the poems that the students can easily memorize. I will send you a copy through school mail. Laughing
Jamey Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: coins Reply with quote

Here are the coin poems/songs:
Penny, penny easily spent.
Copper brown and worth 1 cent

Nickel, nickel thick and fat,
you're worth 5 cents I know that!

Dime, dime little and thin
I remember you're worth 10.

Quarter, quarter big and bold
you're worth 25 cents I am told.
Marsha Frey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamey and Heidi,

Thanks so much. These poems will help my students!
Sandy Monnier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: coins Reply with quote

My students, also, are having some difficulty with coins. They can remember what they are called, but not how much they are worth. I think that the poems will help with that. Thanks for sharing!
Sharon Connor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Idea for coin recognition and value identification Reply with quote

Because the children don't remember the coin value or names, I offer a suggestion which I have used with my students. Since 5 pennies equal one nickel, I tell the children that each finger on my hand represents one penny. The hand represents one nickel. Two nickels represent 10 pennies, shown by holding my hands together and counting the pennies. When the two hands are together they make one dime. 10 pennies, 2 nickels, 1 dime are worth the same amount.
Wendy Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Coins Reply with quote

Sharon Connor wrote:
Since 5 pennies equal one nickel, I tell the children that each finger on my hand represents one penny. The hand represents one nickel. Two nickels represent 10 pennies, shown by holding my hands together and counting the pennies. When the two hands are together they make one dime. 10 pennies, 2 nickels, 1 dime are worth the same amount.

Sharon,
What a great idea. I will use that with my students that need that extra visual!
Denise Geiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha- I have money songs that I will send you. Dr. Jean has a song called "Money Song." It teaches values and presidents. Another is called, "Show Me The Money" by Mr. Al's Math in Motion. Dr. Maggie has a few songs on her Math cd. As soon as we get back from spring break, I will send them! Denise
Paula Kitchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scholastic has a nice set of books - one for each coin - They "Welcome Books" in the Money Matters Series ISBN 0-516-24891-x. The books have nice short text for kindergarten kids and they love the pictures too.
Jayme Biberstine Jones

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Money Song Reply with quote

There is a "Penny, Nickel, Dime" song on the Kiss Your Brain cd by Dr. Jean. It also mentions quarter and half-dollar. We use our fingers and point to the coin chart to help us sing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: