Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math Buddies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dianna Lammey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Math Buddies Reply with quote

Our students love to play EM games online. In order to familiarize all students with the sign on routine and how to play the games, we take them to the computer lab for an instructional session. We knew that it would be a challenge for one or two teachers to man an entire kindergarten group. We partnered up a third grade class with each kindergarten class. This gave the teachers many extra hands and the older students loved being the "teachers." It was a good learning experience for the third graders and they truly enjoyed it.
Kathryn Compton Spelman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Math Buddies Reply with quote

Dianna,
I also have math buddies with a Kindergarten class. We haven't taken them to the computer lab this year to play the Everyday Math Games, but love the idea. I agree, the third graders would love assuming the role of teacher and this is a great learning experience for all learning levels. I hope to be able to try before the end of the year and to start next year.
Marcia Rutell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math Buddies is a great idea. Next year we plan to extend our local pen pal buddies and create math challenges between the classes. At the end of the year we will have a math challenge between the classes. We think the kids will like the extension.
Timothy Moss

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Math Buddies Reply with quote

That's a fantastic idea. It would be neat to incorporate that idea with the reading buddy concept. That way it would provide a variety to use each week for the designated time. It might even be neat to use a selected literature item that relates to the math concept currently being taught. Then we could use the EM game online to further enhance that concept. Thanks for sharing your great idea.
Becky Noble

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: math buddies Reply with quote

This year I mentored a new first grade teacher. Her first grade students have come to my third grade classroom several times throughout the year to play Everyday Math games. The first few times the first graders came, the students played games the first graders were already familiar with. (I quickly taught my third graders the first grade game before the visitors arrived.) During later visits, the third graders taught some new games to the first graders. Both the first graders and the third graders benefitted from these experiences. The first graders, I think, did a better job of staying on task when there was an older child to keep them on track, and the third graders were given a chance to assume a leadership role.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: