Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit 9 Sharing Money / Splitting the Dough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shari Barton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Unit 9 Sharing Money / Splitting the Dough Reply with quote

I just thought I would share something that I found really helpful this year. On the written assessment Sharing Money Equally goal is assessed. {It is also the assessment required for the IMI journal.}

In order to prepare my students for the assessment of this goal, I used the Option 3 in Lesson 9.7. several times. It is called Sharing Money. But simply by changing the name from Sharing Money to "Splitting the Dough," I "tricked" the students into thinking it was a fun math game ... and it really turned out to be. They really got into handling that money, and became expert counters. I think I have a few future bank tellers on my hands!

The directions are clear and there is also a Math Master page that gives those directions and allows the students to record their information. I also made available the $10, $1, and coins as well. They would say they had to "go to the bank" when it was appropriate to make change. The sheets can be kept for assessment purposes, but I also had the game be a part of my teacher session during game day so that I could observe first hand. I circulated and when they arrived at their answers, I quickly used a calculator to see if they were correct or not. If they were, they got a stamper stamp & kept going. If they weren't correct, I would work thru the problem with them and more times than not, they would locate the mistake.

The students that had a pretty good handle on the game, I partnered together. Other students that were having more difficulty, I had work with my teaching assistant one-on-one. I even played the game during a Side-By-Side with parents so they got involved as well. One suggested that I make it one of my Baggy Home Math games...which, of course, I did.

When it came to the written assessment, less than half got that particular question 100% correct. But I was pleased with the results because it is not a particular easy problem to solve. Other students had partially correct answers too. The success is in the difference from last years scores to this years... the added practice definitely helped my this year's students become a bit more developed with this goal. Last year's students -- I just didn't fit the extra practice in and it showed. But that is what is great about EM, with every year in the better you get.
Catherine Means

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: sharing money Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful suggestion! My class had particular problems with that lesson and we ended up doing that problem on the checking progress together. I cannot wait to try your idea for next year. I think I may even go back and do your activity on our Friday Game/Review Day. I think it really helps to have the actual money for the students to use too. Though some of my students wanted to do it ALL in their heads! I think maybe I should have spent more than 1 day on that lesson since sharing money is a secure goal in 3rd grade. Oh well, we are always learning, right!??!
Marcia Rutell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherri I wish I had read your posting even two weeks earlier. I am going to use your game approach to splitting the dough next year for sure. But since it is a game activity I will try this as an end of the year game day fun activity and see what happens. I too think all the kids need is more exposure before we assess them using this form. Thanks for the great idea!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Grade 3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: