Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index Indiana Mathematics Initiative
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skip Counting by 2's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heidi Moore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Skip Counting by 2's Reply with quote

I have two cute books about mittens: MISSING MITTENS by Stuart J. Murphy and THE MISSING MITTEN MYSTERY by Steven Kellogg. Both of them I ordered through Scholastic Book Clubs. The first book explains even and odd numbers with the help of a farmer and his animals and their missing mittens. Many of you are probably familiar with the second book. After reading these books, I passed out a sheet of paper with a pair of mittens on them. I wrote each child's name next to the left mitten and I asked them to design a mitten they would like to wear. I told them to leave the right mitten white. After they designed their mitten, I collected their papers. I looked at the designs and I matched children together based on their artistic abilities. I wrote a different child's name next to the right mitten and I asked them to copy the mitten created by their classmate so that they would have an even pair. They enjoyed the task. I placed an even number on each pair of mittens and put them up in the classroom so that the students can look at the numbers and practice counting by 2's up to 40. They enjoyed the activity so much that I had them do it again and we made a class book for them to check out so that they can skip count with their families as well. Laughing
Carol Fahl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Odd/Even Numbers Reply with quote

Another good book for teaching odd and even is Odd Todd and Even Steven. It is from Scholastic and the ISBN number is 0-590-22715-7.
Sandy Monnier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Skip Countin Reply with quote

Heidi,
Your activity sounds really fun! I will try it in my classroom as well. This is also a great way for the students to pay attention to detail, so they are able to recreate the other child's design. Great idea!
Rosie Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Counting by 2 and symmetry Reply with quote

I did something similar to Heidi's mittens with making butterflies. I had each student color/design one side of a butterfly. Then they switched with a partner(with once again equal artistic ability) and finished the other side. They had to keep in mind, symmetry. Then, we counted and recorded the number of wings and posted all the butterflies by our calendar. We practice counting by 2's daily and they admire their work. Very Happy
Denise Geiser

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Another Skip Counting Book Reply with quote

The Ants Go Marching Two by Two is another skip counting book to add to your library. It is a book in the new series titled Number Tales. Number Tales include a book for each of the following: Zero, One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Twenty, Thirty, One Hundred, Skip Counting, Addition, and Subtraction. The Zero story is good too! If you like AlphaTales you will like their NumberTales too! I purchased the set through a Scholastic book club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Mathematics Initiative Forum Index -> EM Kindergarten All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: