When Charles Deiss came to Indiana from Montana as Chairman of the IU Geology Department in 1944, one of his priorities was the establishment of a geologic field station. The first two field courses were conducted out of the YBRA (Princeton) camp near Red Lodge. In 1947 Dr. Deiss was in charge, with 8 students participating, and in 1948 Charles J. Vitaliano led the program, with 21 students and three assistants.
Dr. Deiss selected the South Boulder Valley as the site for the Field Station because "the region offers more extensive and varied geologic phenomena than any other area of equal size in the United States." After a July 1948 visit by the IU Purchasing Agent and the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, the present site was selected for purchase.
The land was part of the original homestead holdings of the Brownback family, dating back to about 1880. The land had reverted to the state of Montana in 1929, and was under lease by Whitehall rancher Frank Koontz. After considerable legal work — the State of Montana was not sure it could reasonably sell part of its territory to the State of Indiana in the person of the trustees of Indiana University — 60 acres were purchased in the name of IU Treasurer J.A. Franklin and his wife. The Deed is dated December 30, 1948, and the Franklins assigned the deed to the Trustees of Indiana University on December 31, 1948. The 60 acres cost $5 per acre, for a total cost of $305 (including a $5 filing fee). Today, land in this valley goes for about $1000 per acre — or more.
In 1999, on the unanimous decision of the IU Board of Trustees, the Field Station's name was officially changed to the Judson Mead Geologic Field Station of Indiana University. Drs. Deiss and Mead are both honored through contributions to Field Station endowments in their name, which support scholarships, research, and other activities at the Station. For more information, please visit our scholarships page.
The Willow Creek Watershed in the eastern Tobacco Root Mountains is an outdoor laboratory for teaching, research, and applied investigations.
The heart of the Field Station is the Charles F. Deiss Lodge, the focus for meals, recreation, study, and evening work sessions.
Wayne Lowell became Director of the Field Station in 1951, though Dr. Deiss continued to have a strong role in the programs. Lowell was succeeded by Judson Mead in 1961, and Lee Suttner was Director from 1982-1995. Jim Brophy became Director in 1996, followed by Ed Ripley. In 2014, Bruce Douglas was named Director of the Field Station.,
The first caretaker was Mr. Eildert Vry of Mammoth, succeeded by Herb Dutton as Resident Manager in 1954. Herb's son-in-law, Gene Hinton, was manager from 1968-1986, and Gene's son Gary succeeded him and served until 1994. Grant Estey, assisted by Gary Hinton's son Dusty, became Resident Manager in 1995, and in 1999 Dick Gibson became Resident Manager/Geologist. In 2010, Mark Toensing was hired as Resident Manager.
Cooks were brought out from Indiana until 1954, when some difficulties led to the spur-of-the-moment hiring of Hazel McComb, who was head cook until 1975.
THE FIRST WOMEN STUDENTS
Two women were in the first course at the Station in 1949. In 1993, women outnumbered men for the first time in G429.
Lake Mead was excavated in 1959, the same summer four new steel buildings were added to the campus (including the classroom and upper campus bathhouse).
TRAILERS AND DORMS
The faculty trailers were added in 1966. All the student dorms were heated for the first time during the summer of 1996, when major renovations to the large men's dorms were completed.
In the mid-1990s an environmental option was added to G429, as well as G329, which was a field course for the B.S. in Environmental Sciences. G329 was replaced by G433 in 2014.
The Field Station is serving as a base for research using the Willow Creek Demonstration Watershed for data, and it also provides information that will be used by local ranchers to plan distribution of irrigation water.