When the IUHPFL began in 1962, the city of Trier, Germany offered a home to the first IUHPFL students. Within two years Krefeld became the chosen site for German students and in 2014, Krefeld and the IUHPFL celebrated its 50-year anniversary.
Beginning summer 2015, the German-speaking program was held in Graz, Austria, where IU Overseas Study has had a strong presence for over 30 years.
Graz offers a welcoming, scenic environment for IUHPFL participants with a strong infrastructure of onsite coordinator support, established classroom facilities, and a large pool of host families. Note: Although IU Overseas Study has a program in Graz, IUHPFL participants will not share host families or programming with university students.
To learn more about Graz, Austria read these fun facts:
- Although there are various German dialects spoken in Austria, standard German (Hochdeutsch) is commonly spoken in Graz.
- It’s been designated as one of the best preserved historical sites in Europe.
- It was voted the Cultural Capital of Europe in 2003.
- In 2008, it was named City of Culinary Delights.
- It’s located on the beautiful Mur River in a lush and forested region of Austria.
- It sits 120 miles southwest of Vienna, one excursion site.