- About IUPD
- Contact Us
Bicycle Theft PreventionAs with any college campus, bicycle theft is a constant problem. There are ways to substantially reduce the chances of your bicycle being stolen.
- Record the make, model, and serial number of your bicycle and store it in a safe place.
- Save all receipts involving the purchase of your bicycle and equipment.
- Register your bicycle with Parking Operations (855-9848). There is a yearly fee of $5 to register your bicycle. Any unregistered vehicle on IU property is subject to ticketing and impoundment by IU Parking Enforcement.
- Always lock your bicycle. An unlocked bicycle is a much easier target than one that is properly secured.
- Lock your bicycle using a cable and lock as well as a casehardened U-lock.
- Lock your bicycle in a well-lit area on a bicycle rack.
- Never leave your bicycle totally unlocked, even for a minute.
- Report suspicious persons hanging around bicycle racks, call IUPD 855-4111.
If your bicycle is stolen, report it immediately. The sooner we are aware of the theft, the greater the chances are that we will be able to recover the bicycle. If anyone ever tries to take your bicycle, do not fight with them. Be the best witness that you can and call the IU Police Department immediately, 855-4111 (911 for emergencies).
Bicycles are subject to the same rules and regulations as motor vehicles.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Use hand signals and turn signals accordingly.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- After dark, use proper equipment to keep you illuminated.
- Do not ride on sidewalks or areas with a large pedestrian presence.
- Do not ride in University buildings.
- Do not ride through plants, flowers, grass, or other foliage.
Violators of traffic laws are subject to ticketing. Always wear a helmet while operating a bicycle. If involved in an accident, report it immediately to the IU Police Department, 855-4111.
For more information on registering your bicycle and the rules and regulations involving its use, visit the Parking Enforcement website.
Additional websites of interest: