Articles and Bylaws
- The name of this organization shall be the Indiana University Retirees Association.
- The purpose of the association shall be: (1) to provide for its members opportunities to come together for social, recreational, and educational purposes; (2) to provide a liaison between association members, active faculty and staff, and the administration of Indiana University; (3) to provide a central source of information about retired persons who are ill or infirm and to encourage visits to the unwell; (4) to engage in such activities as may contribute to the general welfare of the Indiana University community.
- Regular membership in the association shall be open to the following individuals: (1) retired IU faculty and staff; (2) retired IU Foundation staff; (3) spouses, partners, widows, or widowers of individuals in the first two categories; (4) membership also may be extended by action of the Board of Directors to persons not eligible for regular membership.
- The activities of the association shall be governed by a Board of Directors consisting of nine members. Three members shall be elected each year for three-year terms of office. The election shall be at the annual meeting and decided by majority of those members of the association present and voting. An announcement of the meeting and the election to be held shall be given at least two weeks in advance. A board member may not directly succeed herself or himself following a three-year term. The board may designate from the association membership a replacement for any director unable to serve. The immediate past-president shall serve as a tenth voting member of the board for one additional year, if his or her three-year term has expired.
The directors shall elect from members of the board for each year a president-elect who will serve as vice-president for one year and then as president during the following year. In the event that the president-elect cannot serve as president, the directors shall elect a new president and a vice-president/president-elect to continue the sequence. The directors shall also elect from members of the board a secretary and a treasurer who each will serve up to three years. The board shall also select from among its members a chairperson for a program committee, a membership committee and a nominating committee, all to serve one-year terms.
The board shall designate an editor of the newsletter, a database manager to maintain the membership list and to mail the newsletter, and a webmaster. These may come from members of the board or from the general membership of the association.
Nominations for election to the board shall be by a nominating committee of at least three appointed by the board. The chairperson of the committee shall be a board member, and the other two members shall be from among the general membership of the association. Additional nominations may be made from the floor with the nominee’s consent at the time the election is held.
- The president of the board of directors, with the advice and consent of the board, shall appoint such committees of members of the association as are considered appropriate to the purposes of the association.
- The annual meeting of members of the association shall be held in April of each year at a time and place determined by the board of directors. Other meetings may be called by the president with the advice and consent of the board at such times and at such places as may be appropriate. Members shall be given at least two weeks' notice for called meetings. If a vote by the membership is required, ten percent of the dues-paying members shall constitute a quorum.
- Annual dues shall be determined by the board and shall be payable in September. The fiscal year of the Association shall be from September 1 to the following August 31. At the September meeting and the annual meeting, the treasurer shall make an annual report to the membership of revenues, expenditures, and funds on hand.
- The members of the association may amend these Articles and Bylaws by majority vote at an annual or called meeting.