Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington
  • People
  •  
  •  

The Jerzy Kolodziej Excellence in Teaching Award
The Jerzy Kolodziej Excellence in Teaching Award was established in 2013 to recognize exceptional teaching and is awarded to one graduate student associate instructor every year. The award is named in honor of Dr. Jerzy Kolodziej, BA’62, PhD ’84, Slavic professor emeritus, who retired in 2009. Kolodziej spent over thirty years working with Russian and Polish languages at Indiana University, including over twenty years as director of the Summer Workshop in Slavic and Eastern European Languages (SWSEEL). Kolodziej played a pivotal role in the success of SWSEEL and added devoted years of dedicated work and rich insight to the department. To continue the award, the department is building an endowed fund that will ensure that exceptional teaching among our graduate student instructors is recognized for years to come. If you would like to receive more information about making a gift to the department, please contact the department chair Russell Valentino (812-855-9906 or e-mail: russellv@indiana.edu), or review the information contained in the web pages of the College of Arts and Sciences Development Office and the Indiana University Foundation.

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at Indiana University was first organized in 1947 as the Department of Slavic Studies under the leadership of Michael Ginsburg, the university's first professor of Russian. Indiana University is the only university in the state of Indiana to offer the doctoral degree, as well as offering bachelor's and master's degrees, in Slavic Languages and Literatures. The department has a full array of language, literature, culture, and linguistics courses for students interested in the study of Russian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Czech, Polish, and Romanian.

Intensive summer training in Russian and other languages of our region has been offered at IU Bloomington since 1950. Indiana University's Summer Language Workshop (SWSEEL) remains the largest such program in the United States, offering students the opportunity to complete a full year of college language instruction during a single eight-week summer session for reduced tuition rates.

Cathedral Novocherkassk

Photo courtesy of Olena Chernishenko.

IU Slavic department faculty members represent one of the largest and best concentrations of expertise in the United States, with particular strength in Slavic Linguistics (Fowler, Franks, Holdeman, Shardakova, Shrager, Stern-Gottschalk); Russian literature (Beinek, Stefani, Emery, Valentino); pedagogy (Holdeman, Shrager, Stern-Gottschalk, Shardakova); and literary and cultural studies of Czech (Cravens), Polish (Beinek), Romanian (Illias) and South Slavic languages (Emery, Franks, Valentino).

The department works in cooperation with IU’s U.S. Department of Education funded Title VI Center, the Russian & East European Institute, to offer a variety of extra-curricular programming throughout the year. Department students participate in language practice tables (available for all languages), study abroad, talent shows, the Zeta Zeta chapter of Dobro Slovo National Slavic Honor Society, and the annual American Council of Teachers of Russian (ACTR) national post-secondary Russian essay contest. Special concerts, exhibits, lectures, film showings, pedagogy workshops and other events are usually open to the public and advertised in our section of the main IU Calendar of Events.

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures is located in Ballantine Hall, near the center of the IU-Bloomington campus. The main office, located in Ballantine Hall 502, is open from 8-12 and 1-5 on university business days. We invite you to take an on-line campus tour or visit us in person. You can call us at (812)855-2608 or send an email to iuslavic@indiana.edu.