Malgorzata Cavar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Slavic and East European Languages and Cultures
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Co-moderator of the LINGUIST List
Office number: MH 322
E-mail address: email@example.com
Degree: Ph.D., University of Potsdam, 2004.
Dissertation: “Palatalization in Polish. An Interaction of Articulatory and Perceptual Factors.”
Specialties/Research Interests: Phonological theory: the role of perception in phonology, relation between different phonetic realizations of phonological distinctions, palatalization, laboratory/empirical phonology, Second language acquisition of phonetics/phonological systems, language focus: Slavic.
- Articulatory and acoustic investigation of JSQ Chatino (with Hilaria Cruz, Kelly Berkson, Colette Feehan, Max Nelson)
- Croatian sibilants (with Kelly Berkson and Kristina Mihajlovic)
- GORILLA (Global Open Resources and Information for Language and Linguistic Analysis; with Damir Cavar, Lwin Moe, Hilaria Cruz, Dov-Ber Kerler)
- Member of the Phonetics and Phonology Lab
- Structure of Russian I: Phonology and Morphology (Slav L501)
- Introduction to Phonology (Ling L307)
- Alternative Syntactic Theories (Ling L614)
- Language Variation and Change
- Polish Language
- Damir Cavar, Malgorzata Cavar and Lwin Moe (in press) “Global Open Resources and Information for Language and Linguistic Analysis (GORILLA).” In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’16). European Language Resources Association (ELRA).
- Damir Cavar, Dov-Ber Kerler, Malgorzata Cavar and Anya Quilitzsch (in press) “Generating a Yiddish Speech Corpus, Forced Aligner and Basic ASR System for the AHEYM Project.” In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’16). European Language Resources Association (ELRA).
- Malgorzata Cavar, Damir Cavar and Hilaria Cruz (in press) “Endangered Language Documentation: Bootstrapping a Chatino Speech Corpus.” In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’16). European Language Resources Association (ELRA).
- Damir Cavar and Malgorzata Cavar (2014) “Visualization of Language Relations and Families: MultiTree.” In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’14).Reykjavik, Iceland: European Language Resources Association (ELRA). ISBN 978-2-9517408-8-4. http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2014/pdf/1022_Paper.pdf
- Linda Shockey and Malgorzata Cavar (2014) “Shared Casual Speech Processes: Aid to Learning.” In: Szpyra-Kozlowska, J. et al (eds.), Recent Developments in Applied Phonetics. Wydawnictwo KUL: Lublin. ISBN 978-83-7702-867-4.
- Linda Shockey and Malgorzata Ćavar (2013) “Roadrunners and Eagles.” In: Research in Language. Vol 11(1). DOI 10.2478/v10015-012-0012-x.
- Silke Hamann, Paul Boersma and Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2011) Language-specific differences in the weighting of perceptual cues for labiodentals. In: Wrembel, M., Kul, M., Dziubalska-Kolaczyk, K. (eds.), Achievements and Perspectives in SLA of Speech: New Sounds 2010. Vol. 1. 115-123. The first version of the paper as it appeared on the conference CD.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2011) Merger of the place contrast in the posterior sounds in Croatian. In: Kosta, P. & Schürcks, L., Formalization of Grammar in Slavic Languages.Potsdam Linguistic Investigations. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang. 29-41.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar and Silke Hamann (2011) Phonemes, features and allophones in L2 phonology. Polish sibilants in Croatian ears (and brains). In: Bański. P,. Łukaszewicz. B,. Opalińska. M. (eds.), Generative Investigations: Syntax, Morphology, and Phonology. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Entries in: Lexicon entries for Wörterbuch zur Sprach- und Kommunika- tionswissenschaft (Lexicon of Speech- and Communication Science). Among others: Antigemination, Coalescence, Consonant deletion, Consonant assimilation, Monoph- thongization, Palatalization, Prepausal lengthening, Raising, Praspiration, Retrac- tion, Rule telescoping, Sibilant, Sibilant harmony, Unary features, Unconditioned merger, Velar softening, Vowel deletion, etc. To be published by Mouton de Gruyter.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2007) Derived environment effects in a surface-oriented theory. In P. Kosta et al. (eds.), In: P. Kosta and L. Schürcks (eds.), Linguistic Investigations into Formal Descriptions of Slavic Languages. Potsdam Linguistic Investigations, Vol. 1. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 13–25. Pre-publication versions downloadable here.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2007) [ATR] in Polish. Journal of Slavic Linguistics, 15(2), 207-228. Revised version of the 2005 paper.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2007) Feature geometry and palatalization. Rasprave Instituta za hrvatski jezik i jezikoslovlje, 32, 53-74.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2007) Palatalization effects as a result of articulatory and perceptually driven mechanisms. In: P. Banski et al. (eds.), Studies in Constraint-Based Phonology. Warszawa: Wydawnictwa Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2005) Alternating Environment in the Analysis of Derived-Environment Effects. Indiana University Linguistics Club Working Papers Vol. 5.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2005) ATR in Polish. Indiana University Linguistics Club Working Papers Vol. 5.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2004) Auditory factors in the emergence of prepalatal affricates in Polish. Ohio State University Working Papers in Slavic Linguistics.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (2004) Palatalization in Polish: An Interaction of Articulatory and Perceptual Factors. Doctoral dissertation. University of Potsdam.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar and Silke Hamann. (2003). Polish velar and coronal palatalization – its perceptual background. In: P. Kosta et al. (eds.) Investigations into Formal Slavic Linguistics. Contributions of the Fourth European Conference on Formal Description of Slavic Languages (FDSL IV) held at Potsdam University, November 28-30, 2001. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (1997) Coronal Sounds and Palatalizations: An Analysis of Polish and English. MA thesis, University of Warsaw.
- Małgorzata E. Ćavar (1997) The Representation of Front Vowels in Feature Geometry. Mscr. University of Potsdam.
- The General Ontology for Linguistic Description (GOLD)and its Role for Digital Language Resources and Language Technology. Workshop “Development of Linguistic Linked Open Data (LLOD) Resources for Collaborative Data-Intensive Research in the Language Sciences”, LSA Summer Institute 2015, Chicago, IL. Invited presentation.July 2015
- October 2014 MultiTree: Visualization in Historical Linguistics. Poster presented at the Indiana University Alumni Weekend. Bloomington, IN.
- Morphological Grammars and computational analyzer/generators for the documentation of indigenous/endangered languages of the world. Poster presented at the MorphFest meeting at Indiana University. With Uliana Kazagashewa, Maike Müller,Damir Cavar, Andrew Lamont.June 2014
- Do learners universally prefer durational rather than quality cues in the perception of L2 vowels? Cue weighting in the perception of English tenseness contrast by Polish and Croatian subjects. University of North Texas, Denton, Texas. February 2014
- Technologies for Bootstrapping of Linguistically Annotated Text Collections with TEI XML Markup. Paper presented at the University of North Texas, Denton, TX. With Damir Cavar. February 2014.
- The LINGUIST List Now and Then. Paper presented at the University of North Texas, Denton, TX. With Damir Cavar. February 2014.
- Online visualization of research in historical linguistics. Poster at LSA. 2-5 Jan. 2014. Minneapolis, MN. With Damir Cavar, Sara Couture, Eric Benzschawel, and Uliana Kazagasheva.
- Urban Fieldwork, Evolution, and Languages in Cities: Berlin and Detroit. Panel: Learning from Berlin. Aesthetic Strategies. ASAP 5 (The Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present). 3-6 Oct. 2013. Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. With Damir Cavar.
- Shared Casual Speech Processes: Aid to Learning. APAP 1: Approaches to Phonology and Phonetics. 21-23 June 2013. Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland. With Linda Shockey and Zinny Bond.
- Strategies in Speech Perception: Eagles and Roadrunners. SJUSK 2013 – Symposium for Contemporary Speech Habits and Pronunciation Patterns. 18-20 March, 2013. Copenhagen, Copenhagen Business School. With Linda Shockey and Zinny Bond.
- Are you an Eagle or a Roadrunner? Strategies in Speech Perception. ACCENTS 2012: Accents in Contact. 6-8 Dec. 2012. University of Lodz, Poland. With Linda Shockey.
- Bootstrapping large text corpora with TEI XML markup and linguistic annotation. 2012 Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science. Nov. 19, 2012. The University of Chicago. With Damir Cavar.
- Cue weighting in the perception of English tenseness distinction in Polish and Croatian subjects: Transfer or universal over-reliance on temporal cues? New perspectives on cross-linguistic influence in language learning. Nov. 15-17, 2012, University of Zadar, Croatia. With Pawel Rydzewski, and Antonio Ostaric.
- The LINGUIST List Corpus: A Large Mailing List Corpus – Management, Annotation and Repository. Text Encoding Initiative Conference, Nov. 9-11, 2012, Texas A & M. With Damir Cavar, Helen Aristar-Dry, and Anthony Aristar.
- The Project Gutenberg book archive as a TEI P5 XML text corpus. Text Encoding Initiative Conference, Nov. 9-11, 2012.Texas A & M. With Damir Cavar.
- Cue weighting in the perception of English tenseness contrast by Polish and Croatian subjects. Conference on Second Language Acquisition of Phonology, University of York, UK, July 2012. With Pawel Rydzewski and Antonio Oštarić.
- Cyclicity and Opacity Effects in the Prosody of Two Different Clitic Classes in New-Shtokavian Variants. Presented at: Ilse Lehiste Memorial Symposium. Together with Damir Cavar. Nov. 11, 2011. (Abstract, Slides)
- Length as a Cue in the Perception of L2 Vowels by L1 Subjects with/without Phonological Length Distinction. Workshop on Suprasegmentals, University of Konstanz, June 1, 2011.
- English Vocalic Contrasts by Croatian L2 Learners. 25th International Conference of the Croatian Applied Linguistics Society. Applied Linguistics Today: Research and Perspectives. Together with Antonio Oštarić. May 15, 2011.
- Language-specific differences in the weighting of perceptual cues for labiodentals. With Silke Hamann and Paul Boersma. 6th International Symposium on the Acquisition of the Second Language Speech “New Sounds”, Poznan, Poland, May 1-3, 2010.
- Merger of the place contrast in the posterior sounds in Croatian. Formal Description of Slavic Languages (FDSL) 8, Potsdam, Germany. Dec. 5, 2009.
- Sibilant inventory and the realization of vowels: A study of the dialects of Pag. With Antonio Oštarić. 4th Annual Meeting of the Slavic Linguistic Society, Zadar, 4/09/2009.
- On the induction of linguistic categories and learning grammars. With Damir Ćavar. 10th Szklarska Poreba Workshop, Szklarska Poreba, Poland, 03/12/2009.
- Phonological knowledge and acoustic cues in cross-linguistic perception. With Silke Hamann. Dani Psihologije, Zadar, 05/29/2008.
- Phonemes, features and allophones in L2 phonology. Polish sibilants in Croatian ears (and brains). With Silke Hamann. Generative Linguistics in Poland 6, Warsaw, 04/06/2008.
- Derived Environment Effect in a Surface-Oriented Theory. FDSL (Formal Description of Slavic Languages) 6, Potsdam, Germany, 11/30/2005.
- Affrication as a Cue Enhancement. Conference on manner alternations in phonology. Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, Berlin, 06/25/2005.
- Bootstrapping a Part-of-speech Tagger using Clustering and Classification Methods. CPALA Workshop on Computational Modeling of Lexical Acquisition, Split, 07/27/2005.
- Alternating Environment in the Analysis of Derived-Environment Effects. Midwest Slavic Conference. Columbus, Ohio, 03/05/2005.
- [ATR] in the Description of Consonants. Poster at the 10th MidContinental Workshop on Phonology, Evanston, Illinois, 10/30/2004.
- [ATR] in Polish. Poznań Linguistics Meeting 2004, 05/19/2004. (6 slides on 1 page)
- Perceptual factors in the emergence of prepalatal affricates in Polish. 9th MidContinental Workshop on Phonology, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 11/01/2003.
- [ i ] retraction in Polish as a reflex of ATR agreement. 8th MidContinental Workshop on Phonology, Bloomington, Indiana, 10/26/2002.
- Polish velar and coronal palatalization – its perceptual background. FDSL 4, Potsdam, Germany. Joint work with Silke Hamann (OTS Utrecht & ZAS Berlin), 11/29/2001.
- Palatalization Effects as a result of articulatory – and perceptually – driven mechanisms. PLM 2001, Poznań, Poland, 04/28/2001.
- Palatalization in Polish: an interaction of articulatory and perceptual mechanisms. SlaGG-1 (Slavistische Generative Grammatik); Leipzig, Germany, 07/15-16/2000.
- The Representation of Front Vowels in Feature Geometry. 2nd FDSL conference, University of Potsdam, 11/22/1997.