IUSPA :: Prospective Students :: About HESA
About the HESA Program
If you are interested in Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) at Indiana University, these are the reasons we think you should apply!
- Consistently ranked in the Top 10 in U.S. News and World Report
- Opportunities to be on both a traditional residential campus and urban commuter institution
- Become part of a HESA alumni network that numbers over 2,000
- Be challenged academically by distinguished faculty
- Learn how to be intentional in your student affairs practice
- Chance to submit articles to one of the few student peer reviewed journals
- Be a participant in an environment that fosters inclusiveness and diversity
- Experience the tradition and excellence that make Indiana University a nationally ranked research institution
- Join us for two years of fun, growth, friendship, and more!
Additionally, we are in the process of forming collaborative relationships with other degree programs (such as Counseling and Comparative Education) to offer concentrations within the HESA program. It’s an exciting time to be at IU!
Things to know:
- It takes most full-time students two (2) years to complete the degree, and many will take 1 or 2 classes in the summer or complete an internship for credit in the summer between the two years.
- The IU HESA program is good fit for part-time students as well. Many part-time students complete the program in 3-4 years depending on their class schedule.
- All full-time students are required to secure an assistantship for full admission into the program and must maintain an assistantship as long as they are a full-time student.
- HESA students are also required to complete a practicum experience (similar to an internship). Part-time students may be exempt in some cases.