IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Provincial city of 300,000 only 30 minutes from Madrid
- Birthplace of Miguel de Cervaules, author of Don Quixote de la Mandra
- Late June- late July
- Summer Program offered by Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the Instituto Universitario de Investigación en Estudios Norteamericanos de la Universidad de Alcalá (the Institute)
- Approximately 120 foreign students
- Local excursions in Alcalá de Hernares and Madrid as well as field trips to nearby sites of historical interest in Spain
- Summer Language and Culture program* track (Session II only)
- Courses in advanced Spanish language, culture, and literature taught in Spanish
- 10-20 students per class
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- 6 IU credits for any two courses:
- Contemporary Spain through the Media (HISP-S 317 or HISP-OS 300**)
- Icons and Traditions of Spain (HISP-S 317 or HISP-OS 300**)
- Introduction to Reading, Writing, and Conversation (HISP-OS 100*)
- Spanish Civilization (HISP-S 411)
- Cervantes and His Work (HISP-S 450)
- Commercial Spanish (HISP-S 315)
- Contemporary Spain (HISP-S 411)
- Contemporary Spanish Literature (HISP-S 408)
- Spanish Art History (FINA-OS 100*)
- Spanish Phonetics (HISP-S 317***)
- Spanish Politics and Government (POLS-OS 100*)
- Survey of Literary Analysis (HISP-S 333)
- Writing Skills (HISP-S 312)
*OS 100 is the default designation to identify courses recorded as undistributed elective credit that has not yet been evaluated by an IU department for a specific equivalency. The OS 100 courses can count in total hours toward graduation.
**Courses designated as OS 300 have been evaluated by teh Spanish department and awarded 300-level credit. HISP-OS 300 will only be awarded when HISP-S 317 is not feasable.
***Students taking Spanish Phonetics can petition the Spanish department for a Phonetics course equivalent upon completion of the program by submitting course materials to the Spanish department.
- Spanish homes (one student per home)
Additional Program Information
EligibilityYou may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- have taken or are enrolled in at least sixth semester Spanish,
- have at least a B average in Spanish, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Summer 2010: February 15, 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU portion of fee: $370 CIEE portion of fee*: $4,275 (includes tuition, housing and all meals, orientation, field trips and insurance) See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Initial prepayment of $500 due March 12, 2010. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Initial prepayment of $500 due March 12, 2010.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.