IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Culturally diverse city on the Mediterranean coast
- See art by Picasso and Miró, architecture by Gaudí
- Lively, cosmopolitan city
- January to early June--OR--
September to December
- Semester Program with the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES)
- IES Center is located in the heart of downtown Barcelona, near Plaza Catalunya
- 400 U.S. students
- IES "Liberal Arts & Business"program*
- Orientation and intensive Spanish
- 50 courses in language, humanities, social sciences, and business taught in English for IES students only
- Required enrollment at local institutions (access based on language exam)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) in Spain, Catalan or English in specific departments, including Business Management and Finance, Political Science, Humanities, Cinema Communication, and Telecommunication.
- Universitat Ramon Llull (URL) and Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB) joint courses in English and Spanish with IES and local students
- Universitat de Barcelona (UB) courses in Spanish and Art History, Culture Studies, History, and Literature.
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors IES program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all IES tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Program requires enrollment in Spanish language course and combination of IES center courses AND either a university course or internship
- 16 IU credits in a combination of IES courses and university courses
- Optional 3-credit unpaid internship in business and social agencies (with appropriate level of language competence)
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any IU campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college,
- have taken or are enrolled in first year Spanish and have a B average in Spanish*, and
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
*Business majors who have completed more than four semesters of Spanish should consider other options, and review information and eligibility criteria for other programs in Barcelona and Seville. Those who have completed six semesters of Spanish are not eligible.
*All students who will have completed six semesters of Spanish or more, or who are working toward a minor in Spanish, should review information and eligibility criteria for other Programs in Spanish.
Business majors must be enrolled in or have completed (or will complete) E201, E202 and the Business Integrative Core (or equivalent coursework at an IU campus outside Bloomington).
Liberal Arts and Management Program (LAMP) students must have completed BUS K201, and ECON E201 and E202Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- IES Need-based, Merit-based, Diversity Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships and Disability Grants available. Visit IES Web site and select "Scholarships" from top navigation bar.
- For Business students: Kelley School of Business Overseas Study Scholarships
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: March 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
Fee paid to IU: $640 Fee paid to IES*: $14,400 (tuition, health insurance, room and some meals) Other room charges and meals: $3,060 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Program fee reflects discounted fee for IU students after benefit of the $1,500 IES Public University Grant. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5 for fall; October for spring
*Program fee reflects discounted fee for IU students after benefit of the $1,500 IES Public University Grant.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5 for fall; October for spring