IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Off the coast of Venezuela in the southern Caribbean
- One of the first marine parks in the Caribbean
- Arid climate and calm waters ideal for underwater visibility
- Early September to mid-December --OR--
Mid-January to early May
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- 15 U.S. students
- Tropical Marine Ecology & Conservation program*
- Integration of lectures and field experience
- Setting is a natural classroom
- Courses for biology, environmental studies, resource management
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Independent Research Project in Marine Biology and Ecology (4 credits)
- Coral Reef Ecology (4 credits)
- Cultural and Environmental History of Bonaire (2 credits)
- Tropical Marine Conservation Biology (3 credits)
- Advanced Scuba (1 credit)
- Marine Ecology Field Research Methods (3 credits)
- Shared rooms with other program participants
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college,
- have taken or are enrolled in at least two semesters of biology and/or environmental science or equivalent, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Students also need to have completed PADI SCUBA certification program or PADI referral (www.PADI.com).
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: March 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $13,320 (includes tuition, room, meals, medical insurance, field trips) Additional Meals: $750 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010 for fall; October for spring.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010 for fall; October for spring.