IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Vibrant multicultural city
- Location of oldest university of South Africa
- Early February to late June --OR--
Early July to late November
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the University of Cape Town
- 40-50 U.S. students
- Arts and Sciences program track*
- 14-16 IU credits (including the requirement of at least one course of African content)
- Courses at the University of Cape Town in all areas (except Health Sciences)
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Apartment-style university residence halls with international and South Africa students.
- Off-campus apartments or houses with CIEE and local students
- South African homestays.
Additional Program Information
EligibilityYou may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college,
- demonstrate flexibility, resilience, self-reliance, and
- have a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
Prior coursework with African Studies content is strongly recommended.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Profile of Lauren Rochester who studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa.
Fall 2010: February 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $12,255 (includes tuition, housing, orientation, medical insurance) Meals: $1,200 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due upon acceptance.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due upon acceptance.