Program will not be offered in 2010, but may be offered in future; interested students should return to this site for information.
- Ancient Mayan city, ca. 1200 BC-1500 AD
- Remains of Mayan palaces, pyramids, ball park, plazas
- Lush forest near Crooked Tree village in northern Belize
- Inside spectacular bird and wildlife sanctuary
- To Be Determined
- Spring IU Archaeological Field School Program
- Predeparture orientation in Bloomington
- 8 weeks of digging, mapping, data analysis in Belize
- Instruction in surveying, excavation, artifact processing and analysis
- Travel to other archaeological sites
- Resident Director: Professor Anne Pyburn
- 6 IU credits (all courses applicable to anthropology major)
- Mesoamerican Archaeology (ANTH-E 335, 3 cr)
- Archaeological Method & Theory (ANTH-P 301, 3 cr)
- Optional additional 3 credits in independent study (ANTH-A 495 or ANTH-P405)
- Small, elevated screened houses with 3-4 students in isolated, self-contained jungle camp
- All meals prepared by camp cook
Additional Program Information
- Chau Hiix 2001 Web page
- Contact Professor Anne Pyburn at 885-0216 or by e-mail at apyburn [at] indiana [dot] edu
You may apply if you
- are a degree candidate at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fifth full-time semester of college,
- are willing to engage in strenuous activity in the heat and share rustic field accommodations without amenities, and
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Limited number of program-specific scholarships available.
- Most IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
To Be Determined
Fees paid to IU: (tuition, housing, most meals, health insurance) Undergraduates:
- Indiana resident $3,200
- Nonresident $3,600
- Indiana resident $3,400
- Non-resident $3,600
International airfare and vacation travel additional. Initial payment of $500 due upon acceptance.
International airfare and vacation travel additional.
Initial payment of $500 due upon acceptance.