IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Provincial Caribbean city
- Second-largest city in Dominican Republic
- 90 minutes from coast
- Early January to late April --OR--
Mid August to mid-December
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra
- 25 U.S. students
- Liberal Arts program track*
- AU courses taught in Spanish
- 5-day orientation session in Puerto Plata and PUCMM, Santiago
- 15 IU credits
- Spanish language courses
- Program core course: Contemporary Dominican Republic: Political and Socioeconomic Processes for CIEE students only
- Caribbean and Latin American area studies courses in Spanish for CIEE students only
- Community Services Internship (with course) (optional)
- Minimum of one direct-enrollment course at PUCMM
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Home stays
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college,
- are in at least fourth-semester Spanish, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA and a B average in Spanish.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- For students who will participate in for-credit internships: Overseas Study Internship Incentive Grants.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: March 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $10,355 (includes tuition, housing, meals, medical insurance, field trips) See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, other meals, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010; October for spring.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, other meals, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010; October for spring.