IU Co-Sponsored Program
- City of Renaissance architectural masterpieces
- Italian art treasures
- 3 hours from Venice and Rome
- September 3 – December 12, 2009 --OR--
January 14 – April 24, 2010
- Semester Program through the University of Minnesota with CAPA-Florence
- 30-50 U.S. students from IU and University of Minnesota
- "Language and Culture" program* at the CAPA center, in a 15th century palazzo, a short walk from the Duomo, the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio
- 10-12 classes in arts and humanities, historical and social sciences.
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CAPA program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CAPA tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Program requires enrollment in 16 IU credits which includes:
- Required 4-credit Italian language course (elementary or intermediate)
- 4 CAPA center courses (3 credits each)
- Choose four 3-credit courses from:
- Italian Life & Culture: FRST-F 400 (AH), FRIT-M 222 (CSA, AH) or BUS-X 485
- International Business : BUS-OS 100* or SPEA-V 450
- Political & Economic History of Europe in the 20th Century: POLS-Y 335 (CSB, SH), HIST-OS 100* (SH) or BUS-X 486
- History of Italian Art from the Early Renaissance to the Early 20th Century (fall only): FINA-A 330 (SH) or BUS-X 486
- History of Italian Art from Antiquity to the Baroque (spring only): FINA-A 396 (SH) or BUS-X 486
- Renaissance Art History (spring only): FINA-OS 100* or BUS-X 486
- Medieval and Renaissance Italian Literature (fall only): FRIT-OS 100* (AH) or BUS-X 485
- The Real and the Fantastic: 20th Century Italian Novel (spring only): FRIT-OS 100* (AH) or BUS-X 485
- Cross-cultural Psychology: PSY-OS 300* (SH) or BUS-X 486
- Studio Art Classes (beginning and intermediate levels):
- Drawing: FINA-OS 100* (AH) or BUS-X 485
- Watercolor: FINA-OS 100* (AH) or BUS-X 485
- Figurative Sculpture: FINA-OS 100* (AH) or BUS-X 485
- Studio Art Classes (beginning and intermediate levels; previous drawing course required):
- Life Drawing: FINA-OS 100* (AH)
- Oil Painting: FINA-OS 100* (AH)
See the course list for course descriptions and syllabi.
*Note: -OS 100 (-OS 300) is the default designation to identify overseas study courses recorded as 100-level (300-level) undistributed credit that can count in total hours toward graduation and may be able to satisfy major, minor, or distributional requirements with the approval of participant’s school or the department.
- Shared furnished student apartments located just outside of the Florence city center, maximum 45 minute commute
- Option for homestays with 2 meals per day
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a degree candidate at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriate match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
How to Apply for this Program
Fall 2010: March 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
Fee paid to IU: $640 Fee paid to University of Minnesota*: $11,165 (includes tuition, housing, excursions, health insurance) Meals: $2,000 International airfare: $1,000 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special dicsounted fee for IU students. Personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial pre-payment of $400 due to the University of Minnesota upon acceptance.
* Special dicsounted fee for IU students.
Personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial pre-payment of $400 due to the University of Minnesota upon acceptance.