- Coral reefs, beaches, excellent snorkeling
- British Caribbean island south of Cuba
- West Indian flora and fauna
- May 11 to 20, 2010
- Summer Tropical Ecology Program
- 12 IU students
- IU faculty members
- 3 predeparture weekend orientation meetings in Bloomington in the spring
- Snorkeling instruction available in Bloomington
- 3 IU credits (BIOL-L 433, Tropical Biology)
- Program led by IU Professor Bill Ruf
- Daily visits to coral reefs, mangroves, terrestrial marine and coastal habitats
- Emphasis on ecology and co-evolution between plants and animals, both terrestrial and aquatic
- Shared arrangements in dorm or apartments
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college (priority given to upperclassmen),
- have completed one year of biology or equivalent,
- are willing to live and travel harmoniously with group in the field,
- are able to engage in strenuous physical activity, have good swimming skills and are (or will be) certified to scuba dive
(spring HPER class available as well as private classes available; open water dives can be completed during program), and
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Most IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs, only if you are enrolled in 6 credits in IU summer sessions.
- Overseas Study Scholarships, including Minority Scholarships and Scholarships for Students from IU campuses other than Bloomington.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Summer 2010: February 15, 2010
IU committee screens applications. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fees paid to IU: (tuition, housing, most meals, health insurance)
- Indiana resident: $2,726
- Non-resident: $3,226
International airfare: $700-900 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
Personal expenses additional. Initial payment of $500 due March 1, 2010.
Personal expenses additional.
Initial payment of $500 due March 1, 2010.