IU Co-Sponsored Program
- High in Tilaran range in northwestern Costa Rica
- Located next to Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
- Country rich in diverse flora, fauna and ecosystems
- February to mid-May --OR--
Mid-August to mid-December
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the Monteverde Institute's biological field station
- 25 U.S. students
- 16 IU credit hours for 5 required courses for CIEE students only
- Spanish Language (3 credits)
- Courses (in English):
- Tropical Diversity (BIOL-OS 300, 4 cr)**
- Tropical Community Ecology (BIOL-L 433, 4 cr)
- Human in the Tropics (GEOG-G 317, 2 cr)
- Independent Study Project (BIOL-L 490, 3 cr)
- Extensive educational excursions, including work retreat
- Four-person rooms at biological field station (private baths/showers), family-style meals at same location
- Four-week homestay with Costa Rican families
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college,
- are enrolled in (or have completed) 2 semesters of college-level biology (environmental science or equivalent and some Spanish recommended),
- demonstrate self-reliance, resilience, and flexibility, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: February 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $12,445 (tuition, housing, meals, medical insurance, field trips) See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial pre-payment of $500 due March 8, 2010 for fall; October for spring.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial pre-payment of $500 due March 8, 2010 for fall; October for spring.