IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Provincial capital reflecting traditional Chinese life
- Economic and cultural center on Yangtse River
- January to mid-June --OR--
Late August to mid-December --OR--
Late August to early June
- Semester or Academic Year Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at University of Nanjing
- 30 U.S. students
- Semester or academic year option
- Chinese language courses for CIEE students only
- One area studies course taught in English by U.S. resident director for CIEE students only
- Optional courses in Chinese at Institute for International Students at University of Nanjing for advanced academic-year students
- This program does not include a language intensive component; IU students will be awarded undistributed credit for the language course(s) and would need to take an IU placement exam upon completion of the program in order to determine the next appropriate language course at IU.
- 15 IU credit hours
- 12 credits in Chinese language
- 3-credit Chinese area studies course
- Foreign student dormitories with Chinese students or homestay
Additional Program Information
EligibilityYou may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college,
- are in at least second-semester Mandarin,*
- are taking (or have taken) a Chinese area studies course, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
* Knowledge of pin-yin romanization and simplified characters recommended.Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: January 19, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $10,450 (tuition, room, board, field trips, medical insurance and visa fees) Meals: $1,000 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010 for fall; October for spring.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010 for fall; October for spring.