IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Picturesque Andean City with a pleasant climate
- Capitol of Ecuador
- Entire 'El Centro historico' (Old city) a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- May 25 to July 14, 2010
- Summer Environmental Studies Program with the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES)
- 10-15 U.S. students
- IES "Environmental Studies" summer program*
- Required Spanish language course
- Two environmental studies courses taught in English
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors IES program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all IES tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Program requires enrollment in Spanish language course and two IES courses.
- 9 IU credits
- Required Spanish language course (3 credits)
- Environmental Issues: Conservation and Public Policy in Ecuador (SPEA-E 400 for SPEA undergrad environmental management majors ONLY)
- Ecuadorian Ecosystems (BIOL-OS 400 lecture and lab course)
*Note: -OS 100 (-OS 300) is the default designation to identify overseas study coursees recorded as 100-level (300-level) undistributed credit that can count in total hours toward graduation and may be able to satisfy major, minor or distributional requirements with the approval of participants' school or the department.
- Students live in private homes in Quito with families or señoras
- Homestay hosts provide 3 meals per day, 7 days per week
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a degree candidate at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college and
- have an overall cumulative GPA of approximately 3.0
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- IES Need-based, Merit-based, Diversity Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships and Disability Grants available. Visit IES Web site and select "Scholarships" from top navigation bar.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Summer 2010: February 1, 2010
IU committee screens applications. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU portion of fee: $448 IES portion of fee: $6,750 (academic fees, housing and meals, orientation, field trips, health insurance) International airfare: $1,100 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.