IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Thailand's fourth largest city, located in the Northeast province, Isaan
- 300 miles north of Bangkok
- Rich in traditional Thai customs
- Mid-January to mid-May --OR--
Mid-August to Mid-December
- Semester Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at Khon Kaen University
- 18-20 U.S. students
- Fall or spring semester option
- Courses taught in English by U.S. resident director for CIEE students only
- Focus on development and globalization issues with a grassroots, community-based perspective
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- 15 IU credit hours:
- Thai language course (3 cr.)
- Human Perspective on Development and the Environment (6 cr.)
- Directed Research/ Field Study Practicum (3 cr.)
- Social Research Methods (3 cr.)
- Off-campus apartments with Thai roommates, Thai homestays while working in the community
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college,
- demonstrate flexibility, resilience, self-reliance, and
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- For students who will participate in for-credit internships: Overseas Study Internship Incentive Grants.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available. CIEE scholarship applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of application.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: February 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications; final approval from CIEE.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 CIEE portion of fee*: $12,065 (tuition, housing, excursions, insurance, visa fees) Meals: $750 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due March 8, 2010 for fall; October for spring.
* Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due March 8, 2010 for fall; October for spring.