IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Japan's cultural, political and intellectual capital
- Coastal city where old and new combine
- mid-March to mid-July --OR--
early September to late December
- Semester Program with the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES)
- Center in Tokyo suburb of Makuhari
- 30-40 U.S. students
- IES "Japanese Society & Culture" program*
- Orientation program on-site
- Japanese language classes at Kanda University of International Studies
- Access to computers, e-mail, sports facilities and library at Kanda University of International Studies (KUIS) and Meikai
- Field trips
- Unpaid field experience in a Japanese organization, business, non-profit or governmental organization
- 10 courses in Japanese history, art, politics, economics, anthropology and sociology taught in English for IES students only
- Program requires enrollment in Japanese language course, field placement and seminar, and IES center courses.
- 15 IU credit hours:
- 6 credits in Japanese language
- 6 credits in 2 IES area studies courses
- 3 credits for field placement and seminar
- Japanese homes or dormitories
Additional Program Information
You may apply if you
- are a student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress,
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college,
- in at least second-semester Japanese, and
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- For students who will participate in for-credit internships: Overseas Study Internship Incentive Grants.
- $1,250 Ando Scholarships through Overseas Study
- IES Need-based, Merit-based, Diversity Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships and Disability Grants available. Visit IES Web site and select "Scholarships" from top navigation bar.
- General information about financial aid and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
Fall 2010: March 1, 2010 Spring 2011: September 2010
IU committee screens applications. Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
IU committee screens applications.
Notification of application status sent electronically within 4 weeks of application deadline.
Fall 2010 Semester
IU portion of fee: $640 IES portion of fee*: $16,795 (tuition, room, most meals, field trips) Additional meals: $3,000 See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Program fee reflects discounted fee for IU students after benefit of the $1,500 IES Public University Grant. Airfare, health insurance, visa, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010; October for spring.
*Program fee reflects discounted fee for IU students after benefit of the $1,500 IES Public University Grant.
Airfare, health insurance, visa, personal expenses and vacation travel additional.
Initial prepayment of $500 due April 5, 2010; October for spring.