Models of Categorization
John K. Kruschke
Outline of Guest Lecture for Q500, 27 September 1995
- Goals of Cognitive Science:
- Explanation at both functional (software) and implementational
- Explanatory principles and formalization.
- Structure of modeling.
- Formalization yields precision,
explicitness, and theorist-independent predictions.
- Why do we all
know the legend that an apple fell on Isaac Newton's head?
because of the explanatory principle, but because of the
- Caveat: Shun ontological reification!
Representations and processes are in the models, not necessarily in
Overview of My
- The laboratory learning paradigm.
- Types of empirical
- Explanatory Principles.
Principle of Selective Attention to Relevant Dimensions.
Principle of Rapidly Shifting Selective Attention.