Professor, Department of History of Art; Adjunct Professor, Jewish Studies
- Ph.D., Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, 1989
- M.A., Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, 1983
- B.A., Kirkland (Hamilton) College, 1976
- American-Philosophical Society
- American-Scandinavian Foundation
- Fulbright Commission
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Alfried Krupp Wissenschaftskolleg Greifswald
- Nineteenth-century European painting and sculpture, particularly that of Scandinavia. Romanticism, Symbolism and issues of identity.
- The contribution of Jews to Swedish national identity in the years around 1900.
- Artistic innovation at the Danish art academy in the late eighteeneth century
An Introduction to Nineteenth Century Art (Routledge 2011)
Symbolist Art in Context (California, 2009)
Art, Culture and National identity in Fin-de-Siecle Europe, co-edited with Sharon Hirsh (Cambridge, 2003)
Nationalism and the Nordic Imagination: Swedish Painting in the 1890s (California, 1998)