Go directly to information about these data archives, or scroll down.
Also see alphabetical list of data sets.
See also the ICPSR Guide to Social
Science Data Preparation and Archiving. The Data and Program Library
Service at University of Wisconsin lists resources for analyzing
data and for citing
|Through the Social Sciences Data
Collection (SSDC) at University of California, San Diego,
you can search both the SSDC collection and data on the Internet.
American Religion Data Archive.
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
The archive houses surveys of: the general population, religious groups,
and religious professionals. It includes data on sexuality teaching, homosexuality,
and birth control.
Hispanoamericanos de Sexolog╠a.
Publication in Spanish that has become a forum for the investigators of
the Spanish language that want to diffuse its works. For their characteristics
and periodic publishing, it has been included in the index and international
databases and this registered in the census of scientific publications
of the CONACyT (National Council of Science and Technology).
The work that guarantee the continuity of this project is:
The Australian National University Social
Science Data Archives
- Obtaining quality articles and scientific work
- The biannual publishing of the magazine
- The co-edition of the magazine with the Faculty of Psychology of the
UNAM and the Mexican Society of Psychology.
SSDA contains data sets from Australian and New Zealand studies
and opinion polls. From
these pages, you can access a list of subject terms, including "sex," "pornography,"
"prostitution," "sex education," and "venereal diseases," and find the number
of studies indexed with each term.
Quick Keyword Search of Studies:
Data sets include:
- Gynaecological and Sexuality Profile of Women Attending a Family
Planning Clinic, 1982
- Sex Industry Survey, 1994, La Trobe University
- Victorian General Practitioners' Knowledge of Sexually Transmissible
Diseases, 1995, Center for Study of STD's
- National Survey of Australian Secondary Students HIV/AIDS, 1992,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The CDC's National Center for Health
Statistics collects and makes available data related to sexuality
and reproduction. Through FASTATS,
NCHS makes current U.S. statistics on AIDS/HIV, teen births, unmarried
childbearing, infertility, reproductive health, STDs, and teen pregnancy
available. Data sets include:
- Divorce Data Public-use Data Files
- National Survey of
Family Growth (NSFG) on pregnancy, childbearing, contraception,
and related aspects of maternal and child health of American women aged
15-44. Five cycles of data, from 1973-1995, have been collected. Data
file variables in 1995 included: menarche, marriage and cohabitation
history, sexual partner history for last five years, number of pregnancies,
sterilization operations, contraceptive history, pelvic inflammatory
disease and other conditions affecting fertility, and HIV testing.
- National Health Interview
Survey, an annual survey, which since 1987 has included questions
about AIDS knowledge and attitudes. Additionally, CDC conducted a national
household-based survey of more than 10,000 young people that included
those not attending high school (1992) and the National College
Health Risk Behavior Survey (1995)
The CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Behavior Risk Factor
Surveillance System (BRFSS), a state-based surveillance system of
the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC); collects data on adults' risky health
behaviors, including sexual behaviors.
- The Division of Adolescent and School Health (DASH) sponsors the Youth
Risk Behavior Surveillance System, which collects data on the incidence
and prevalence of sexual behaviors of youth every odd-numbered year,
using national, state, and large city probability samples of high school
students. Data files are available through the National Technical Information
Service (see listing).
Council of European Social
Science Data Archives, Norway
CESSDA provides a common integrated
data catalogue for Social Science data archives in Europe, Israel,
Australia, and the United States. It can be searched by keywords related
The UK Data Archive, University
of Essex, Colchester, United Kingdom
The UK Data Archive is a national resource center with extensive holdings.
A subject search of "sexual behaviour" in its online catalog BIRON
yields more than 130 studies. Data sets include:
- British Social Attitudes Survey, 1983-
- National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles, 1990,
- Young People's Social Attitudes Survey, 1994
Henry A. Murray Research
Center, Radcliffe College, Cambridge, MA
The center is a national repository for social and behavioral science
data on human development, with special emphasis on American women and
a focus on longitudinal research. Its Guide to the Data Resources
is searchable by such terms as "sexual."
Data sets include:
- American Couples, 1975-1981, P. Schwartz and P. Blumstein
- National Lesbian Health Care Survey, 1984-85, J. Bradford,
C. Ryan, and the National Lesbian and Gay Health Foundation
- Family Life and Sexual Learning, 1977, E. Roberts, Population
- Psychological Aspects of Fertility Behavior in Women, 1972-75,
Institute for Research in Social
Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel
IRSS maintains a large archive of public opinion data, personal and social
psychological data, world fertility, and demographic and health data.
It has a searchable catalog
of its data holdings.
Data sets and data archives include:
- Computer-Administered Panel Study, 1983-1988 (CAPS); data
from annual samples of 100 UNC undergraduates; titles cover dating,
serious relationships and sexuality; sexual abuse; homophobia; sexual
attitudes; and love
- The IRSS data archive provides access to data from the two largest
archives of social science and public opinion data in the world:
the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
(ICPSR) and the Roper
Opinion Poll Question Database; users can view questions and responses
for search terms such as "sexual" and "sexuality" from Louis Harris,
USA Today, State Polls, and other organizations
- Survey Studies from Latin American and Spain, a few of which cover
for Political and Social Research, University
ICPSR has an extensive archive of computerized social science data organized
by subject categories. Search
holdings or browse by categories, particularly XVII. Social Institutions,
Data archives and data sets include:
- Family Life and Sexual Learning, 1976, E. Roberts, D. Kline,
and J. Gagnon
- General Social Survey, 1972- , National Opinion Research
Center, U. of Chicago; the General Social Survey Data and Information
Retrieval System (GSSDIRS)
allows users to search GSS questions and responses related to sexual
attitudes and experiences. A subject search on "sex" retrieves data
on extramarital sex, frequency of sex, attitudes about homosexuality,
partners, pornography, premarital sex, prostitution, and teenage sex
Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD); can be searched by words
such as "rape," "sexual assault," "sex offenders," or by broad subject
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycles I-V, 1973-1995,
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services; provides information on maternal
and child health issues
- The National Health and Social Life Survey, 1992, Study
No. 6647, Edward O. Laumann, et al., National Opinion Research Center,
U. of Chicago, on the sexual experiences of adults in the U.S.
- Substance Abuse and
Mental Health Data Archive; houses the National Youth Surveys,
1976-80, 1983, and 1987
Family Foundation , Menlo Park, CA
The foundation conducts surveys on reproductive health and HIV policy.
Recent survey data on the Kaiser web site includes Sex in the 90s:
Kaiser Family Foundation/ABC Television 1998 National Survey of Americans
on Sex and Sexual Health (September 1998) and Kaiser Family Foundation/Glamour
1998 Survey of Men and Women on Sexually Transmitted Diseases (August
The Kinsey Institute, Bloomington, IN
The Institute houses data sets from its own research projects (See Kinsey
Institute Data and Codebooks) and those listed below that have been
deposited at the Institute by other sexuality researchers.
- National Opinion Research Center, Amalgam Survey, SRS 160 (1963), Reiss, Ira L.
- National Survey of Swingers (1999), Bergstrand, Curt, and Sinski, Jennifer.
- Polyamory Demography -- the "Loving More Magazine Study" (2000), Nearing, Ryam.
- Survey Data-Set on Regional Variations
in Sexual Attitudes and Behavior of College Students (2000), Davidson, J. Kenneth, and Moore, Nelwyn B.
This company distributes data from the Demographic and Health Surveys,
which provide information dating back to 1948 on fertility, family planning,
and maternal and child health in developing countries.
National Data Archives on
Child Abuse and Neglect, Cornell University,
NDACAN provides a complete list of its current holdings, some of which
have an emphasis on childhood sexual abuse. Data sets include:
- Victimization and Other Risk Factors for Child Maltreatment Among
School-Age Parents: A Longitudinal Study, 1988-1992, D. Boyer and
- National Youth Victimization Prevention Survey, David Finkelhor
National Technical Information Service,
NTIS is the official resource for U.S. government-sponsored scientific
research. The catalog of the Federal
Computer Products Center can be searched by such terms and phrases as
"sexual behaviors," "youth," "risk," "sexually transmitted diseases,"
"HIV infection," and "unintended pregnancies." Data files include:
- National College Health Risk Behavior Survey (NCHRBS) 1995
- National School-Based Youth Risk Behavior Study (YRBS), 1995
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 1993
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 1990
Office of Population
Research Data Archive, Princeton University,
OPR houses a number of specialized data sets from the U.S. and other countries
- American Fertility Surveys from 1955-1988
- World Fertility Survey conducted in 41 developing countries
in the 1970s and 1980s
- Demographic and Health Surveys, national sample surveys with
an emphasis on maternal and child health in developing countries
- Chinese Fertility Surveys, 1985 and 1987
- Mirror site for Spanish-language Archivos de Fecundidad y Salud, Programa
Centroamericana de Poblacion, Universidad de Costa Rica, which houses
fertility and health surveys from Central American countries
Queens is another site housing data sets of the General Social Survey,
a source of information on sexual attitudes and experiences. It also provides
access to a computer program to extract GSS data, and searchable versions
of the Cumulative GSS Codebook, the GSS Annotated Bibliography,
and the GSS Subject Index to Questions.
Roper Center for Public
Opinion Research, University of Connecticut
The center maintains a large historical archive of public opinion data
from the U.S. and other countries, particularly Latin America. It houses
Data Files and Codebook for the General Social Survey, 1972-,
a source for information on American sexual attitudes and experiences.
Access to the center's Public Opinion Location Library (POLL), a database
of questions from many U.S. polls since 1936, including Gallup, Roper,
Harris, NORC, ABC, CBS, NBC, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and others,
is by subscription only.
Los Altos, CA
Sociometrics provides access to data on current social issues in the U.S.,
including teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections/AIDS.
You can search data set study
summaries. The extensive data archives include:
- HIV/AIDS/STDs Data Archive (HIV/AIDS/STD).
- Adolescent Women's Contraceptive Decision-Making Project,
Baltimore City, 1988, Carol Weisman and Stacey Plichta
- The California Survey of AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes and Behavior:
1987 and 1988, California Dept. of Health Services
- Detroit Minority Youth Behavior Study, 1991, Kathleen
Ford & Anne Norris
- Los Angeles Women's Health Risk Study, 1990, David Kanouse
- National Health and Social Life Survey, 1992, Edward
O. Laumann, et al.
- National Survey of Adolescent Males, 1988 & 1990-91,
Freya L. Sonenstein, Joseph H. Pleck & Leighton Ku
- National Survey of Men, 1991, Koray Tanfer
- National Survey of Women, 1991, Koray Tanfer
- Prospero Project Condom Study, San Francisco, 1989-1991,
Dan Waldorf and David Lauderback
- American Family Data Archive (AFDA)
- National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle V, 1995, the
fifth in a series of surveys of women 15-44 years of age. Includes
marital and cohabitation histories, sexual partner histories and
characteristics of male partners.
- Data Archive on Adolescent Pregnancy and Pregnancy Prevention (DAAPPP)
and its National Archive on Sexuality, Health, and Adolescence
- National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, Carolina Population Center,
University of North Carolina
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Program Archives (HAPPA)
- Program Archive on Sexuality, Health and Adolescence (PASHA), a collection of prevention
- Research Archive on Disability in the U.S. (RADIUS)
- 1994 National Survey of Sexuality Issues among Women with
Physical Disabilities, Margaret A. Nosek
[ Reference Resources
| Data Sets]
Last updated September 14, 2011.