This is a listing of Web indexes and search engines that are particularly
useful for finding research information about sexuality and related aspects
of gender and reproduction.
- Annual Reviews
- Covers Biomedical Sciences and Social Sciences.
- Argus Clearinghouse of
Subject-Oriented Internet Guides
- This selective collection of topical web guides includes guides related
to sex and gender under categories for the Social Sciences and Social
Issues and Health and Medicine.
- A comprehensive gateway for searching, locating, ordering and acquiring
U.S. government information. Use the search function and such keywords
as sex behavior, pregnancy, family planning, contraception, families,
mothers, birth, HIV/AIDS, high-risk behavior, substance abuse, sexual
harassment, etc., to locate related information.
- Web guide of legal information. Includes laws, government documents,
and secondary publications. Researchers can browse for sex- and gender-related
material in legal
subject indexes (Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Cyberspace Law, and
Family Law) or do word searches (ex., "sexual orientation," "pornography,"
"sexual assault"). Connects to LawCrawler,
a search engine geared to the information needs of legal professionals.
- (Sexual Health)
- Medical World Search
- A specialized database and search engine for the medical field that
uses a medical thesaurus. It selectively indexes documents, emphasizing
high-quality sites with clinically useful information for professionals.
A search on "sexuality" takes the user into the thesaurus structure.
- Indexes journal articles, book reviews, and essays about women, sexuality,
and gender during the Middle Ages
- Mental Health Net (MHN)
- The Professional Resources
section of this database contains MHN's own summaries of diagnostic
criteria from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,
4th Edition (DSM-IV), American Psychiatric Association, 1994. Includes
summaries for: dyspareunia,
female and male orgasmic
arousal disorder, fetishism,
identity disorder, hypoactive
sexual desire disorder, male
erectile disorder, pedophilia,
sexual masochism and
- National Substance Abuse
- Searches for and indexes the most authoritative government and private
web sites for substance abuse prevention.
- Net Links.
- A database of Internet resources for population, health and development.
Covers adolescent health, AIDS, safer sex, sex education, and sexually
- Locates and indexes quality psychological content on the Internet.
Information is retrieved from the American Psychological Association's
Web site, as well as from some other organizations, including the National
Institute of Mental Health, the American Psychiatric Association, and
the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Yahoo - A Guide to WWW
Health, and Sexuality)
See also Internet
Quick Reference created by the Indiana University Bloomington Libraries'
Reference Department, which allows you to quickly access a wide variety
of search engines and directories.
[Go to Reference Resources]