Spring 2015 (Sec. 25269 / 25271)
|Office: Goodbody Hall 202|
|Office Hours: T 1:30-3:30pm or by appointment|
CLASS MEETING: MWF 2:30pm-3:20pm at Wodburn Hall (WH) 114
K402/502 is the second semester of Fourth-Year Korean, Advanced level. The goal is to equip students with proficiency in all four language skills--speaking, listening, reading, and writing--at an advanced level. The course will deal with various genres of authentic material (some slightly tailored to fit the level) on various topics. The course is largely content- and task-based. Particularly focused will be on enhancing ability to advance one's opinion as well as discussing and sharing thoughts and ideas. Expanding one's vocabulary to include more complex and abstract concepts is also a main goal of this course. By the end of the course, students will be able to observe the structure and function of Korean language as accurately as possible and to critically evaluate generalizations of Korean language. Also, students will be able to communicate facts, ideas, concepts, and arguments on topics regarding Korean society and culture to the professor and with other students orally and/or literally.
Integrated Korean: Advanced-Intermediate 2 (KLEAR Textbooks). University of Hawaii Press
1. Class Attendance: Every 5 absences will result in a one-level grade reduction. No exuses will be allowed without written proof of the circumstances (e.g. doctor's notes, police reports, performance schedule, job interview schedule). No more than 5 excuses will be granted, under any circumstance.
2. Homework Assignments: Homework is expected to be turned in at the beginning of class on the date due. Late homework must be submitted within a week of the date due.
3. Chapter Quizzes: After each chapter is covered, there will be a chapter quiz. Chapter quizzes will be based on the textbook and web materials covered in the textbook chapter. There will be no makeup exam unless a written proof for a justifiable reason is provided.
4. Presentation: There will be one 10-15 minute presentation.
5. Extra Credit: Each instance of participation in Korean-related events will earn 2 points toward chapter quiz scores up to 10 points.
All PowerPoint slides used in class and all additional course materials will be posted on Oncourse.
Grades will be
assigned based on the following scale:
|93 - 96.9||A|
|90 - 92.9||A-|
|87 - 89.9||B+|
|83 - 86.9||B|
|80 - 82.9||B-|
|77 - 79.9||C+|
|73 - 76.9||C|
|70 - 72.9||C-|
|67 - 69.9||D+|
|63 - 66.9||D|
|60 - 62.9||D-|
|59.9 & less||F|
Assignments will be graded on the scale of 1 to 10.
IMPORTANT: If you have a question or need help in any area, contact me (your instructor) right away. Do not wait until the end of the semester. I am here to help you!
*This syllabus is based upon Professor Hyo Sang Lee's K402/502 syllabus. Some modifications have been made.