K202 Oral exam guide:
Preparing for Oral Exam
You will be scored on five criteria:
(i) Comprehension (ii) Fluency (iii) Accuracy (iv) Spontaneity (v) Uses of grammar.
Comprehension has to do with how well you understand what's going on in the conversation. Fluency has to do with how smoothly you produce your utterance, not the speed of it. Accuracy has to do with how you command your grammar, vocabulary and expressions accurately. As for the criterion (iv), spontaneity, you will score better if you spontaneously initiate conversation rather than passively responding to the questions given to you. As for the criterion (v), uses of grammar, we will be looking at how well you utilize the grammar and expressions you have learned in this class, and how creatively use them. Use quotation and hearsay as much as you can.
The best way to prepare for the oral exam is for you to get familiar with the conversations in the textbook.
The following topics may be covered:
Lesson 1. Weather and seaosns:
• Greetings with weather and seasonal greetings
• Your favorite seasons and seasonal activities
• Talk about weather forecast you heard in relation to your weekend plan.
Lesson 2. Comments on clothing and fashion
• What you enjoy wearing
• Clothes you need to buy
• Colors and styles in fashion these days
• Your experience in shopping
Lesson 3. Travel
• Your memorable travel experience
• Cultural differences you found during your travel
• Travel preparation: getting a visa, reserving and buying an airplane ticket
Lesson 4. Using post office
• Your experience of using a post office
• Any plan to send a package, e.g. Christmas gifts to parents, friends
Lesson 5. Housing
• Describe your room, apartment, house
• Your residential history
• Moving experience