The Garden Assistant is expected to have a basic knowledge of organic gardening and is responsible for assisting the Hilltop Coordinator with the general operation of the family gardening program and maintenance of the vegetable, herb, fruit and perennial gardens.
Work includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Seeding, planting, weeding, mulching beds and paths, pruning, havesting, watering, fertilizing, amending and cultivating the soil, composting, pest management, cover cropping, removing dead plants and debris, and harvesting
- Assist Hilltop Coordinator in leading youth and adult participants in garden based lessons
- Lead garden based lessons in the Hilltop Coordinator's absence
- Assist Hilltop Coordinator in the development of family gardening educational lessons
- Assist Hilltop Coordinator with summer youth field trips to the garden and lead gardening activities
- Help Hilltop Coordinator organize and distribute tasks to program volunteers
The Garden Assistant works closely with the Hilltop Coordinator, volunteers, as well as youth and adult program participants.
A degree (or working towards a degree) in Horticulture, Agriculture, Plant Science, Biology, Primary Education, and/or comparable experience in gardening or farming. Strong knowledge and interest in vegetable gardening and food, ability to work well with children and adults, good communication skills, creativity, willingness and enthusiasm to learn abouth the youth gardening movement and help children and adults master basic gardening skills are expected. Ability to work independently in the garden, make decisions, and work with speed is also expected. Musical, theatrical, and arts and crafts experience is helpful. First Aid/CPR certification is a plus. Must be able to work outdoors in various weather conditions and lift 50 lbs.
10-15 hrs. per week. May through October 2014, Tuesday through Saturday, with flexible start and end dates. Available weekday evenings and Saturdays are a must.
Hourly compensation is $12.00/hr and is subject to FICA and income taxes. University credits could be fulfilled depending upon individual's course of study.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Lea Woodard at
Hilltop Garden & Nature Center
2367 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47408