Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington

June 16, 2010

Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection

Filed under: Photographs — Lilly Library @ 11:11 am

Hohenberger photo_small

The Lilly Library, in partnership with the Indiana University Digital Library Program, recently launched a newly-redesigned online portal for exploring the thousands of images contained in the Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection. This new site provides a new visual design along with access to many more digitized images than were available in the previous site, and new content will be added continually as it is digitized.

Newspaperman and photographer Frank M. Hohenberger (1876–1963) left Indianapolis in 1917 to start a small photography business in Nashville, Indiana, concentrating on the subject matter of Brown County. The next forty-seven years were spent recording the life, customs, and scenes of the hills of Brown County, of other areas of Indiana, of Kentucky, of South Carolina, and of Mexico. From 1923 to 1954 he wrote a column for the Indianapolis Star entitled “Down in the Hills O’ Brown County.” The articles were frequently illustrated with his photographs.

Hohenberger willed his collection to the Indiana University Foundation, and in 1998 ownership was transferred to the Lilly Library.

Visit the redesigned Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection site at http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/lilly/hohenberger.

March 22, 2010

T.C. Steele and Frank M. Hohenberger

Filed under: Photographs — Lilly Library @ 3:27 pm

T.C. Steele Remote Studio

A recent post about painter T.C. Steele’s remote studio on the Indiana State Museum’s blog by Davie Kean, master gardener at the T.C. Steele State Historic Site, featured this photo (left) from the Lilly Library’s Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection. Mr. Kean also posted to the blog this past August using two other images from the Lilly Library, one of which comes from the Hohenberger collection. All of these photos were used with the permission of the Lilly Library.

Frank Michael Hohenberger, 1876–1963, was a Brown County photographer and newspaperman. He spent his boyhood as a printing apprentice and later worked several years on newspapers in Dayton, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, and finally for the Indianapolis Star. In 1917 he left Indianapolis to start a small photography business in Nashville, Indiana, concentrating on the subject matter of Brown County. The next forty–seven years were spent recording the life, customs, and scenes of the hills of Brown County, of other areas of Indiana, of Kentucky, of South Carolina, and of Mexico. From 1923 to 1954 he wrote a column for the Indianapolis Star entitled “Down in the Hills O’ Brown County.” The articles were frequently illustrated with his photographs. Hohenberger, who died in November 1963, willed his collection to the Indiana University Foundation. In 1998 the Foundation transferred ownership of the collection to the Lilly Library.

The Indiana University Digital Library Program is currently involved in the project of digitizing the entire Hohenberger photograph collection and designing a more user–friendly search interface for exploring these images. The project will be completed later this year.

March 10, 2009

Masaryk in Egypt

Filed under: New acquisitions,Photographs — Breon Mitchell @ 11:34 am

Masaryk in Egypt

Tomàš Garrigue Masaryk (1850-1937), shown here at Luxor during a semi-private trip to Athens, Jerusalem and Cairo in 1927, was still active at the age of seventy-seven. Re-elected for the third time as president of Czechoslovakia, he was one of the leading statesmen in Europe. Almost three hundred of these small-format photographs were taken as part of the official record of his visit. Each photo bears a contemporary inscription on the back indicating date, place and occasion. Taken as a whole, they provide an unusually detailed day by day record of his journey. We are not sure whether this box was part of an official issue of these original photographs, and would welcome further information about them.

The Lilly’s holding in Czech literature and political history are particularly strong, thanks in large part to the generosity of Ruth Crawford Mitchell, long-time friend of the Masaryk family, and an important figure in international social work. Her papers, along with those of two of Masaryk’s daughters, Alice and Olga, are held at the Lilly. The Lilly continues to actively build its collection of Czech material, with an emphasis on the period of Tomàš Masaryk’s life. A display of the works of the Ĉapek brothers, Karel and Josef, is presently on view in the Ball Room.

— Breon Mitchell, Director

View a larger image of the photograph above and of the box of photographs.

Powered by WordPress