The Collections: Guide to the Collections: Jerry Slocum's Bibliography: Puzzles in Print and Lectures
Puzzle Books by Jerry Slocum
- Puzzles Old & New: How to Make and Solve Them. (1986). University of Washington Press. 16th Annual Children's Science Book Award, by The New York Academy of Sciences, 1987 Also: Two German editions, Dutch edition, British edition, Japanese edition, Four US reprint editions, Czech Republic edition, 2006
- New Book of Puzzles: 101 Classic and Modern Puzzles to Make and Solve. (1992). New York: W.H. Freeman. Also German edition, Dutch edition, Japanese edition
- The Book of Ingenious & Diabolical Puzzles. (1994). New York: Times Books. Also German edition, Dutch edition, Japanese edition
- The Puzzle Arcade: For People Who Like Lots of Hints. (1996). Palo Alto, CA: Klutz.
- Puzzles from Catel's Cabinet and Bestelmeier's Magazine, 1785 to 1823 [PDF]. (1997). Beverly Hills, CA: Slocum Puzzle Foundation.
- Tricky Optical Illusion Puzzles. (2001). New York: Sterling. Optical Illusions and Other Puzzles, Houtweg, The Netherlands, 1995
- Swipe This Pencil. (2003). Palo Alto, CA: Klutz.
- The Tangram Book. (2003). New York: Sterling. Also Russian edition
- The 15 Puzzle Book. (2006). Beverly Hills, CA: Slocum Puzzle Foundation.
- The Tao of Tangram. (2007). New York: Sterling.
- Tangram Master. (2008). New York: Sterling.
- The Famous 15 Puzzle. (2009). New York: Metro Books.
- The Cube: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Bestselling Puzzle – Secrets, Stories, Solutions. (2009). New York: Black Dog & Leventhal.
Books Published by Jerry Slocum
- Compendium of Mechanical Puzzles from Catalogs [PDF]. (1977). Compiled by Jerry Slocum.
- Ingenious Ring Puzzle Book, Ch'ung-En Yu. (1957). Translation by Yenna Wu, Jerry Slocum, (1981).
- Checkerboard Compendium. (1997). 3rd Edition, Beverly Hills, CA: Slocum Puzzle Foundation. [1st Edition 1983; 2nd Edition 1993]
- Directory of Puzzle Collectors. (2003). 5th Edition, Beverly Hills, CA: Slocum Puzzle Foundation. [1st Edition 1992; 2nd Edition 1994; 3rd Edition 1997; 4th Edition, 2000]
Book Articles about Jerry Slocum
- Tuchman & Brenner. (1994). Jerry Slocum, Aerospace Engineer. Magnificent Obsessions: Twenty Remarkable Collectors in Pursuit of Their Dreams (pp. 74–81). San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
Book Articles by Jerry Slocum
- Early Japanese Export Puzzles: 1860s to 1960s [PDF]. In D. Wolfe & T. Rodgers, (2002), Puzzlers' Tribute: A Feast for the Mind (pp. 257–272). Natick, MA: A.K. Peters.
- Nob Yoshigahara. In B. Cipra, et al. (2005), Tribute to a MatheMagiCian (pp. xxi–xxxi). Wellesley, MA: A.K. Peters.
- Mongolian Interlocking Puzzles [PDF]. In B. Cipra, et al. (2005), Tribute to a MatheMagiCian (pp. 11–20). Wellesley, MA: A.K. Peters.
- Tangram: The World's First Puzzle Craze. In E.D. Demaine, M.L. Demaine & T. Rodgers (2008), A Lifetime of Puzzles: Honoring Martin Gardner (pp. 59–76).
Wellesley, MA: A.K. Peters.
- Sam Loyd's Most Successful Hoax [PDF]. In E. Pegg, A.H. Schoen & T. Rodgers, (2009), Homage to a Pied Puzzler (pp. 3–21). Wellesley, MA: A.K. Peters.
Periodical Articles about Slocum & his Puzzles
- Magazine, Journal, & Newsletter Articles
- Newspaper Articles
- Los Angeles Times – Beverly Hills Puzzle Authority Finds Solutions in Collecting [PDF] May 23,
- Los Angeles Herald Examiner – He's never met a puzzle he couldn't solve [PDF] December 28, 1986
- New York Times – Puzzles Make a Magical Exhibit [PDF] July 26, 1987
- Boston Herald – Mind Over Matter October 16, 1987
- Christian Science Monitor – Fun for Nimble Heads & Hands [PDF] October 22, 1987
- Indianapolis News – Puzzles Old & New Opens [PDF] January 18, 1990
- Indianapolis News – Aircraft Executive Jerry Slocum ... [PDF] January 18, 1990
- Chicago Tribune – Museum Offers Chance to Get Lost in a Labyrinth May 27, 1994
- Wall Street Journal – Puzzles October 15, 2000
- New York Times – Delectable Puzzlements November 12, 2000
- Poughkeepsie Journal – Puzzles as Art Form December 21, 2000
- Belleville News–Democrat – Pu??les [PDF] May 25, 2002
- Southwest City Journal – Posers test visitors' ingenuity [PDF] May 29, 2002
- Independent News, St. Louis, MO – Mind–Boggling Fun [PDF] May 16, 2002
- New York Times, Science Times – Calisthenics for the Brain July 25, 2006
- The Herald Times, Bloomington, IN – Collector Donates 30,000 Puzzles to Lilly Library August 3, 2006
- Indiana Daily Student – Best Puzzle Collection in the World August 3, 2006
- Indianapolis Star – IU Will Display a Baffling Array of Puzzles July 30, 2006
Periodical Articles by Jerry Slocum
- Making and Solving Puzzles [PDF]. (October 1955). Science and Mechanics Magazine, pp. Cover, 121–126.
- Eulogy: Edward Horndern [PDF] (May 24, 2000).
- Introducing Mechanical Puzzles. Game & Puzzles Quarterly.
- An Old German Tangram Mystery is Cleared Up. (July 2003). Cubism For Fun, pp. 4–7.
- Japanese Puzzle Boxes [PDF]. (September 2003). Southeastern Antiquing & Collecting, pp. Cover, 46, 47.
- Sliding Block Puzzles with Letter Swap Tricks. (November 2003). Cubism For Fun, pp. 12–16.
- Sliding Block Tricks with Swap–Trick Pictures. (March 2004). Cubism For Fun, pp. 8–11.
- Eulogy: To Takako [PDF] (July 2004).
- Vienna Tangram Variations 1818–1820. (July 2004). Cubism For Fun, pp. 16–18.
- Coffin, S.T. & Slocum, J. (November 2004). What's New in Polyomino Puzzles and their Design [PDF]. Cubism For Fun, pp. 18–23.
- Old German Embarassment Tangrams. (March 2005). Cubism For Fun, pp. 26–31.
Exhibition Catalog Articles by Jerry Slocum
- Puzzle Cards, Gathering for Gardner II (January 21, 1996)
- Magical Puzzles [PDF], LA Conference on Magic History (October 21, 1999)
- Sam Loyd's Most Successful Hoax, Gathering for Gardner VII (2006)
- Mechanical Tricks & Puzzles Worldwide During the Edo Era [PDF], Kyoto University (December 8, 2006)
- Early Mechanical Puzzles: 10th Century B.C. to 19th Century [PDF], Dartmouth College (February 19, 2008)
- Jerry Slocum's Puzzles, Family and Career, Indiana University, Wells Scholars Lecture (October 5, 2007)