Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

BAKER, HORD, AND HENDRICKS MSS.

The Baker, Hord, and Hendricks mss., 1862-1916, are papers of the Indianapolis, Indiana, law firm of that name, its predecessors, and its successor, Baker and Daniels.

The law partnership of Thomas Andrews Hendricks and Oscar B. Hord was formed in Indianapolis in 1862. In 1866 Abram W. Hendricks, cousin of Thomas A. Hendricks, entered the firm, and the name, Hendricks, Hord, and Hendricks, was adopted. When Thomas A. Hendricks became Governor of Indiana in 1873, Conrad Baker, who had been Governor of the state from 1867 to 1873, replaced him in the firm, and its name became Baker, Hord, and Hendricks. In 1876 Thomas A. Hendricks reentered the firm, but no change was made in its name. He retired upon becoming Vice-President of the U.S., March 4, 1885. Between 1885 and 1888 saw the death of all of the earlier members, Conrad Baker on April 28, 1885; Thomas A. Hendricks, November 25, 1885; Abram W. Hendricks, 1887; and Oscar B. Hord, January 15, 1888. Upon the death of the latter, Albert Baker, son of Conrad Baker, and Edward Daniels, who had previously formed a partnership, succeeded to the firm's practice under the name, Baker and Daniels. The death of Edward Daniels occurred on June 11, 1918. Albert Baker was an active member of the firm until 1940. He died on October 29, 1942.

The collection consists of law office correspondence and appeals, including both manuscript and printed briefs. The collection is organized into the following series: I. Small cases; II. Major clients; III. Bound volumes; IV. Unidentified/unsorted cases. An inventory of the collection is available.

Correspondence, records, and papers, 1866-1887, of the Oregon Gulch (Gold) Mining Company, Morris Ravine, California, in which members of the Hendricks family were interested, and private papers of Edward Daniels, which came to the Library with the papers of the law firm were set up as separate collections.

Gift. 1947, 1949, 1952

Collection size: 63,964 items

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.