The Bates mss., 1926-1932, are writings and letters of English author Herbert Ernest Bates, 1905-1974.
An inventory follows. Consult the Manuscripts Catalog in the Library for further information on the writings.
Arranged chronologically, followed by a list of items mounted in books.
- 1926. The Lesson
- 1926. The Mother
- 1929, June-July. Alexander
- 1930, Jan. 16-1933, Feb. 6. Letters from Bates to Barbara McClenaghen, including one letter from McClenaghen to Bates, Dec. 9, 1931. (16 items)
- 1930? Obadiah
- 1930? A Threshing Day for Esther
- 1931, Jan. On the Road
- 1931, Mar. The Mower
- 1931. A German Idyll – first draft
- 1931. A German Idyll
- 1932, Dec. The Pink Cart
- 1932. The Russian Dancer
- 1932. A Speculation in the Angelic
- undated. The Black Boxer
- undated. The Dove
- undated. Fishing
- undated. Never
Mounted in books:
- The Country doctor (fragment- p.5) in Bates: The story without an end and country doctor (Lilly PR6003.A86 S81 copy 2)
- Mrs. Esmond's Life, chapter III (p. 26) in Bates: Mrs. Esmond's life (Lilly PR 6003.A86 M61).
Collection size: 34 items
Related manuscripts: Bates mss. II