The Baumgarten mss., 1957-1971, consist of the correspondence of literary agent Bernice Baumgarten, 1902-1978, with four women authors she represented over the years, as well as a file of general correspondence relating to placing manuscripts of her various clients, negotiating film rights in some cases, and generally conducting the business of a literary agent. In private life Baumgarten was Mrs. James Gould Cozzens; in her career she was a senior agent with the New York firm Brandt and Brandt.
The majority of the correspondence is with four authors: Kathryn Hulme (1900-1981), Josephine Lawrence (1890-1978), Betty MacDonald (1908-1958), and Aline Bernstein Saarinen (1914-1972). The general correspondence which dates only June-December 1958, follows their files and is in chronological order.
Gift. Matthew Bruccoli. Columbia, South Carolina. 1986
ca. 1370 items.
- Hulme, Kathryn. 1958-1971 (7 folders)
- Lawrence, Josephine. 1957-1971 (4 folders)
- MacDonald, Betty. 1958-1970 (5 folders)
- Saarinen, Aline (Bernstein). 1958-1961; 1967-1968 (3 folders)
- General correspondence, June-Dec. 1958 (7 folders)
Collection size: 1,370 items