The following resources are also available for this collection:
Part or all of this collection is housed at the Auxiliary Library Facility. For
details, see Using
Lilly Library ALF Materials.
Return to Description
I. Georges Perec
Georges Perec: A Life in Words
- folders 1–6: Correspondence with Harvill Press and various
French publishers, 1989–1998
- folders 7–147: Correspondence and interview notes. Arranged
alphabetically. A complete list of names is available.
- folders 1–24: Notes and reports on research trips for
Georges Perec: A Life in Words. Arranged by location or
topic, dating from January 1988–March 1990.
- folders 25–34: Notes on specific elements of Perec's
life. Includes: Baptism of Georges Perec; Belleville between 1920 and
1925; French history of and information on Peretz/Bienenfeld families;
La ligne géneralé; Geographie de la France;
Dossier scolaire/School dossier of Georges Perec; Lycée Henry
IV; and Military service of Georges Perec.
- folders 35–40: General/miscellaneous notes for the Perec
- folder 41: Audiotape cassettes of research on Georges Perec recorded
during visits in Tunisia, Yugoslavia and France (5 items).
- folders 42–45: Notes relating to the composition of the
biography, January, March and May 1990.
- folder 46: Notebooks on Perec.
- folders 1–6: Notes and notebooks for Georges Perec: A Life
- folder 7: Correspondence, 1989, about Georges Perec's lecture
given at the University of Warwick, UK; photocopy of the lecture, May
- folders 8–12: Correspondence with publishers, etc.,
1988–1993, about Georges Perec: A Life in Words.
- folder 13: Calendrier de la vie de Perec (original basic plan for
- folder 14: Georges Perec: A Life in Words. Early draft
- folders 15–17: Georges Perec: A Life in Words.
- folders 1–2: Georges Perec: A Life in Words. Corrected
- folder 3–4: Ela Bienenfeld's notes on earliest version
- folder 5: Bianca Lamblin's corrections to part I of 1990
- folders 6–8: Bellos's notes on version I,
- folder 9: Problems and references
- folders 10–11: Bienenfeld, Ela. Correspondence, interview
notes, photocopies of her correspondence, etc. in the University of
- folder 12: Binet, Catherine. Correspondence with Georges Perec,
- folder 13: Binet, Catherine. Correspondence with Harry Mathews
(photocopies of originals in the University of Pennsylvania)
- folder 14: Binet, Catherine. "La commande: ou project
d'un voyage Ã W" (photocopy)
- folder 15: Binet, Catherine. "Vous sovenez–vous de
Gaspard Winckler?" Film script about Georges Perec. Photocopy
with autograph corrections and changes.
- folder 16: Binet, Catherine. Correspondence and interview notes with
Bellos; "Film sur Georges Perec: Part I: Te
souviens–tu de Gaspard Winckler? Part II: Vous
sovenez–vous de Gaspard Winckler?"
- folder 17: Binet, Catherine. Audio cassettes of Catherine Binet talking
about Georges Perec, and the errors in David Bellos's biography
of Perec (7 items).
- folder 18: Binet, Catherine. Documents provided by Catherine Binet: Les
jeux de la comtesse Dolingen de Gratz; Binet's c.v.; notes;
correspondence with Bellos
- folders 19–24: Correspondence with publishers, etc. about
Perec translations, ca. 1985–1996
- folder 25: Marie Chaix/Jacques Lederer/Laurant de Brunhoff
correspondence, 1991, with Bellos
- folder 26: Mathews, Harry. Correspondence: Oct. 1988—June
1995; interview notes; parts of Harry Mathews's diary.
- folders 1–2: Georges Perec: A Life in Words.
Writings, etc. by and about Georges Perec
- folders 3–10: Photocopies of Georges Perec correspondence,
- folder 11: Correspondence: Perec to Philippe Guerinat,
- folder 12: Correspondence: Perec to Eugan Hemle, transcriptions
- folder 13: Correspondence: Perec with Johann M. Kamps,
- folder 14: Notes and transcriptions of Georges Perec's letters
to Jacques Lederer, 1954–1961 (edited versions of the letters
have been published)
- folder 15: Martens, Michel. Card annotated by Georges Perec in black
- folders 16–24: "53 Jours." Photocopies of
the manuscript and typescript drafts from Harry Mathews's copy
of Perec's unfinished novel; Bellos's transcriptions and
editing in preparation for the translation published as 53 Days
(UK 1992, US 2002).
- folders 25–36: Copies of various writings by and about Perec:
- "L'Abominable Pardessus." Film by Georges
Franju, adaptation and dialogues by G Perec
- "Alfred et Marie" Un film de Gérard Zingg,
scénario et dialogues de Georges Perec
- "L'Attentat de Sarajevo." Incomplete
- "La bande magnétique." Film treatment
- "Le Bonheur" Unpublished article by Perec on the film
by A. Varda
- "Les choses." Script for the movie adaptation of
Perec's book and Les choses, screenplay, adaptation and
dialogues by Raymond Bellour, Jean Maillaud, and Georges Perec
- Le condottiÃre
- "Ellis Island Revisted: Chronicles of vagrancy and hope,"
translated by Harry Mathews
- "Les Extraordinaires aventures de Monsieur Eveready."
Unpublished script for radio serial (3 folders)
- folders 1–33: Copies of various writings... (cont.)
- "Les Extraordinaires aventures de Monsieur Eveready,"
- "Le fou"
- "Georges Perec L'amateur d'art"
- Georges Perec — Australian Radio Programme (interview)
- Un homme qui dort — film script
- Der Kartoffelkessel, radio–adaptation
- KonzertstÃck (2 folders)
- Lieux d'une fugue (2 folders)
- "Les Lieux d'une ruse/About my analysis"
- Life: A User's manual, correspondence, 1985–1987
- Die Maschine (2 folders)
- Malédiction! Screenplay by Perec and Jean–Pierre
- Notes for films: "Le club," "Le prince
Michel," "La couronne de Saint Mathias,"
"La coronne de fer"
- L'Oeil de l'Autre
- Plays, Pieces and Puzzles, photocopy
- Poetry by Georges Perec
- Quel petit vélo
- Radioscopie — Georges Perec (interview by Jacques
- Signe particuler: NEANT (projet de long–métrage de
- "The Story of a Painting," translated by Bellos
- A tire d'aile, script for the film by Pascal Aubier, adaptation
and dialogues by Georges Perec
- La vie privée, corrected proofs, incomplete
- Voyage d'hiver/The Winter Journey (2 folders)
- W ou le souvenir d'enfance (4 folders)
- "Wucherungen" German radio script, photocopy
- folder 1: Miscellaneous short pieces by Perec
- folders 2–23: Miscellaneous Perec memorabilia, magazines,
articles, art publications, etc. Included is a photocopy of
Perec's elementary school notebook; book blurbs by Perec; two
cigarillo boxes left by Georges Perec in photo session which resulted in
a famous Perec and cat photograph; medical pamphlets of the sort Georges
Perec dealt with as bibliographer of the CNRS LA 38; obituaries of
- folders 24–30: Seven scrapbooks of Perec Press files
- folder 1: Perec Press (cont.). Inventory listings: 1) by date; 2) by
scrapbook number; 3) by newspaper/magazine, and; 4) alphabetically by
- folder 2: Copies of dust jackets for various Perec publications
- folders 3–26: Miscellaneous. Includes clippings, photocopies
of articles, lecture notes, etc. Some relate to Perec, some do not.
Arranged alphabetically by author or subject of the file.
- Appel du Silence
- Atelier de création radiophonique
- Ave de Segur
- Simone de Beauvoir. Reading notes
- Maurice Blanchot
- Georges Burnacks
- Les Doigts dan la Cassure
- Philippe Drogoz — L'enlevement, opera en cinq
- Sergei M. Eisenstein
- John Forbes
- Lucien Goldman, notes
- Alain Guerin "Le bon depart" Notes
- Hamon/Rotman "Génération, les
anées de Rêve"
- E.A.J. Honigmann article on autobiography, New York Review, Dec. 7,
- Jean–Noel Jeanneney
- Franz Kafka: translation history, notes
- Milan Kundera. TLS review, June 24, 1988
- Helen Lane. Notes
- Henri Lefebvre. Notes
- Christine Lipinska. Clipping
- G. Lukács translations. Notes
- Clara Malraux, Atlan
- Patricia Molteni
- folder 27: Bellos correspondence with Random House publishers,
2002–2003. Email printouts
II. Translations of other authors
- Kadare, Ismail
- folder 28: The Great Wall. First draft of translation; printout;
copy–edited galleys (two sets)
- folder 29: The Successor. First draft of translation
- folder 30: The Successor. Late draft with some corrections by
Bellos in pencil
- folder 31: The Successor. Bellos's responses to
copy–editor; corrected galleys
- folder 32: Clippings about Kadare and reviews of his works.
- Vargas, Fred
- folder 33: Seeking Whom He May Devour. Bellos's
- folder 34–35: Seeking Whom He May Devour. First version
of translation, heavily corrected
- folder 36: Miscellaneous articles, etc. written by Bellos for The New
York Review of Books
- folder 37: Clippings of reviews of various books written by Bellos