BINGHAM, W. MSS.
I. General Correspondence
Arranged in chronological order. (Full List)
- folders 1-35: 1757-1824
- folders 1-16: 1825-1891
- 1792, Dec. 8. George Washington to William Bingham. With plan for barn.
Arranged in chronological order.
- folder 17: 1777-1798. Accounts, invoices, etc.
- folder 18: 1778-1791. Richard, Pierre. Letters and papers with William Bingham, frequently from Martinique. Chiefly in French
- folder 19: 1785-1801. Bank of the United States. Circular letters, 1791-1801
- folder 20: 1785-1801. Bank of the United States. Willinks of Amsterdam dispute, 1785-1797: account of business relationship between Bingham and Messrs. Willinks, 1785-1797. 65p.; Contradictory language of Messrs. Willinks, 1787-1788. 2p.
- folder 21: 1785-1801. Bank of the United States. Miscellaneous undated papers
- folder 22-29: 1799-1803. Accounts, invoices, etc. Includes interests in the ships: "Canton," "America," and "Cleopatra"
- folder 30: 1804, Jan. 4. Insurance Office of N. America. Report of the committee concerning British and French captures. 12p.
- folders 31-35: undated. Accounts, invoices, etc. Includes interests in the ships: "Canton," "America," and "Cleopatra"
Papers concerning Bingham's estate. Arranged in chronological order.
- folders 36-46: 1804-1826
- folders 1-24: 1826 (cont.)-1846
- Arranged alphabetically by family member. Materials are arranged chronologically under each name.
- folder 25: Baring, Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton. 1824, Aug. 26-1826, Aug. 14. Bill of Costs, in account with John Smith... ca. 67p.
- folder 26: Baring, Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton. 1828, Feb. 29. Resolution of thanks tendered to Baring and others by the Parliament of Upper Canada, signed by John Wilson, Speaker, and James FitzGibbon Clerk of the Assembly
- folder 27: Baring, Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton. 1839, Aug. 29-1840, Dec. 31. In account with Messrs. Drummond and Sons
- folder 28: Baring, William Bingham, 2nd baron Ashburton. Accounts with Messrs Drummond, 1841; 1842; 1842-1843; 1843-1846
- folder 29: Baring, William Bingham, 2nd baron Ashburton. Accounts on Addiscombe Farm, 1856-1857. Report of the Addiscombe Farm, Croydon in the County of Surrey, 30 Jan. 1858, by William Ross, Jr. 4 pages
- folder 30: Baring, William Bingham, 2nd baron Ashburton. Receipts, from Charing Cross, London: 1858, Dec.-1859, May. A few mention Mr. William Ross. (11 items)
- folder 31: Baring, William Bingham, 2nd baron Ashburton. Account with Drummond, 1863, Nov. 14-1864, July 1. In leather- and vellum-covered booklet. 21p.
- folder 32: Baring, William Bingham. 2nd baron Ashburton. Estate. Trustees of the Will...Capital and Income. Dec. 1880 and Jan 31, 1881.
- folders 33-43: Bingham, William Jr. of Montreal. Trusts, indentures, letters, 1821-1834.
V. Personal Papers and Writings
Arranged alphabetically by title, subject or first line.
- folder 44:Account book and notes, 1796-1802. Bound, leather cover.
- folder 45: "An Act to revive and continue in force an act to enable aliens to purchase and hold real estate [in Pennsylvania]." Approved Mar. 8, 1792
- folder 46: Address book, with marbleized paper cover; draft of letter and notes laid in [1802-1803]
- folder 47: "Calais..." [notes during a trip to France] -1803. Bound with marbleized paper cover. Contains several references to Bonaparte
- folder 48: Cashbook, No. 3, 1800. Bound with paper cover depicting the King of Prussia on a horse.
- folder 49: "France less powerful in relation to England....[first line]" undated, 5p.
- folder 50: Ideas concerning newly settled land. undated, 10p.
- folder 51: Legal affairs, ca. 1798. Mr. Bingham's Case: What is the situation of this cause... 1p.; Mr. [William] Lewis's directions relative to a Writ of Errors. 1p.; Notes on the subject of the Mass. Suit [watermark: 1798] 4p.
- folder 52: List of papers belonging to the Estate of William Bingham Esq. deceased. Taken out of the Bank of the United States. Watermark: 1804 12p.
- folder 53: Memoranda & notes of Wm. Bingham. undated, 15p. Paper bound
- folder 54: Passport, June 2, 1803; and Certificate of arrival [from France to England], June 16, 1803
- folder 55: Remarks [regarding the tax]. undated, 1p.
- folder 56: Taxes paid by C.W. Hare on acct. of Wm. Bingham, Esq. 1801, Oct. 5-1803, June 16. 2p.
- folder 57: Thoughts on Public Affairs in America. undated, 14p.
- folder 58: Why was the Purveyor kept so long in Office? undated, 3p.
- folder 59: Will, Jan. 30, 1804. Copy made July 11, 1805 (2 copies).
- folder 60: Will Codicil, Feb. 3, 1804
- folder 61: Miscellaneous papers and notes, ca. 1797-ca. 1804
- folders 1-2: Havana. Accounts, receipts, etc., 1764-1767.
- folders 3-5: Hope (Danish brig). Correspondence and papers, 1799-1802. Includes an undated account to the owners of the privateer Pilgrim which took the Hope
- folder 6: Seine. Recapitulation of merchandise taken out of the Ship Seine & forwarded to [ship] America by the several following Conveyances... 1p.
Arranged by the following: Maine lands, Middle States, New York lands, Pennsylvania lands, and General.
- folders 7-14: Accounts. 1792-1818
- folders 15-25: Accounts, Kennebeck. 1822-1837
- folders 26-33: Accounts, Penobscot. 1820-1837
- folder 34: Articles of an agreement [with Henry Knox], 1792, 1798
- folder 35: Articles. Establishment of the New England Land Company. 1795
- folder 36: Articles. Plan of Association for the purpose of acquiring 107,050 acres of land... 1795?
- folder 37: Questions concerning land on Kennebeck River. undated
- folders 38-42: Settlement Instructions. 1796-1798, 1824 and undated (includes New York and Pennsylvania lands)
- folder 43: Settlers. 1786
- folder 44: Weather. Chart of the temperature three times a day and the barometer reading daily from June 1, 1798, to May 31, 1800, by John Richards. As from Goldsborough, Maine, with an explanatory note. 7p.
Deeds. (All dated 1793):
- Copy of Deeds Number One and Two of the purchase of the Townships No. 7,8,9,10,11 and 12
- Kennebeck Tract. Deeds No. 10-16
- Kennebeck Tract. Copies of Deeds No. 9-16
- Penobscot Tract. Copies of Deeds No. 1-8
- Penobscot Tract. Copies of Deeds No. 2-8
- District of Maine, by Osgood Carleton, 1795. Printed
- Penobscot Tract, Peter's survey of the soil, undated.
- Plan of Part of the District of Main[e], copy by Chas. de Krafft, ca. 1793
- Plan of part of the District of Main[e]. Five copies, undated. Printed
- Plan of part of the District of Maine. Undated. Manuscript copy
- Middle States of North America with part of Canada. Showing the principal towns. Undated - bears internal date of 1791 in two places. 47x39cm. Printed.
New York lands
- folder 45: Statement of lands sold... undated
- folder 46: Account of Messrs. Hope & Co. 1810-1818
- folder 47: Accounts. Baring, Louisa Caroline (MacKenzie), Lady dowager Ashburton. Mar. 31, 1868; Nov. 25, 1868; 1881 (Nos. 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 only)
- folder 48: Accounts. 1880-1881
- folder 49: Apportionment of the Chenango Lands. 1824-1825
- folder 50: Deeds. Exemplification, 1801
- folder 51: Estate. 1868
- folder 52: First and second purchases, 1792-1800
- folder 53: Map. Elk County. 1868. Printed
- folder 54: Observations on the minerals in Lafayette and Keating Townships, McKean County..., by Thomas Petherick. 1867. Printed. Contains maps
- folder 55: Propositions for the division of certain Lands in Pennsylvania...[first line] 1805
- Pennsylvania and Central Pennsylvania, 1797. Printed
- Clinton County, 1847. Printed, with holograph note, 1864
- McKean County, undated. Printed, with holograph note, 1864
- Potter County, undated. Printed, with holograph note, 1864
- Tioga County, undated. Printed, with holograph note, 1864
- Pennsylvania and Central Pennsylvania, 1797. Printed
- Western Pennsylvania from Erie and Warren Counties to Pittsburgh, undated. Holograph.
- folder 56: Tenants and rents, 1802-1803
- folder 57: Printed. Report of the Committee for the Sale of Eastern Lands: containing their Accounts from the 28th of October, 1783 to the 16th of June, 1795. undated, 30p. Blue cover
VIII. Webster-Ashburton Treaty
All items are dated 1842.
- folders 1-8: Correspondence, Feb.-Sept.
- folders 9-10: Correspondence, Feb. 10-Sept. 2. Ashburton to Aberdeen. Two bound volumes
- folder 11: Cancelled instructions
- folder 12: Creole Ship Papers.
- folder 13: Derbishire, Stewart. Canada: Prospects of the Session of 1842.
- folders 14-16: Dispatches. Jan. 8-July 19. Includes materials on "Creole" and the slave trade
- folder 17: Draft. Aug. 9. 25 pages
- folder 18: Draft. Articles, Clauses, Discussion Papers
- folder 19: Draft. Boundary papers
- folder 20: News clippings from The Journal of Commerce, The New York Herald, a Maine newspaper, The Atlas. Apr. 4-Sept. 10. Mounted on 10 pages
- folder 21: French government claims. Papers. 1785-1790. Chiefly in French.
- folder 22: Honeywood, Richard. Will. Aug. 30, 1752.
- folders 23-24: Knowles, Sir Charles. Wills. June 16, 1752 and July 15, 1756.
- folder 25: Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth. Autographs. 1868, 1869, one undated
- folder 26: Mariage Entre Mr. de Boisquilbert et Mlle. Bingham, Mar. 29, 1845. 24 pages. Two copies, one tied with blue ribbon
- folder 26: Mr. Parkes; Proposal. Concerning sale of French chateau
- folder 27: "The old tower is gone...we must have Revolution [first line]," by unknown author. 1838?
- folder 28: Richmond, Lady Sarah (Cadogen) Lennox, Duchess. Estate, Apr. 15, 1760
- folder 29: Printed. Facts and Calculations Respecting the Population and Territory of the United States of America. undated, 8p.
- folder 30: Printed. Prospectus of The Royal African Agricultural and Commercial Company. (For the development of commerce and the suppression of the African slave trade). 1847
- Marriage Settlement between William Bingham, Jr. and Mrs. Charlotte Chartier de Lotbeniere, Feb. 2, 1822. 3rd copy 4p.
- William Bingham, Jr. to Thomas M. William and Alexander Baring - In Trust. Dec. 31, 1821. Copy of Deed. 5p.