DODD, MEAD MSS.
The Dodd, Mead mss., ca. 1855-1992, consist chiefly of author/translator agreements, correspondence and copyright statements of publisher Dodd, Mead & Company. In 1839 Moses W. Dodd purchased an interest in a New York publishing firm established by John S. Taylor. The following year he severed his connection with Taylor and continued alone until his retirement in 1870. He was succeeded by his son, Frank H. Dodd, who, with his cousin Edward S. Mead, formed the firm Dodd & Mead. A retail department was added to the firm and in 1876 Bleecker Van Wagnen was taken as a partner. The firm was then renamed Dodd, Mead & Company. The collection is chiefly composed of correspondence, agreements, copyright statements, bills, and receipts. It is arranged in alphabetical order by author, illustrator, translator, or book series that involve multiple authors. Some materials are filed under the name of the printer, agent or publisher other than Dodd, Mead when a single author cannot be established.
Completing the collection is a group of miscellaneous materials including articles on the firm's centenary (1839-1939), printed catalogs, miscellaneous correspondence, and brief printed histories of the firm. An inventory of the collection is available.
Collection size: 26,000 items