Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

EMPIRE STONE CO. MSS.

The Empire Stone Co. mss., 1902-1920, are the papers of the Bloomington, Indiana, based firm, quarrymen of Indiana oolitic limestone with quarries located at Smithville and in Lawrence County. Founded in 1891, the officers in 1908 were Nat U. Hill, president, Frederick Matthews, vice-president, and Lawrence Van Buskirk, secretary. In 1918 the manager was Frank E. Matthews.

The papers consist of letters, invoices, financial reckonings and seven bound volumes: Account books, 1902, Apr. 30-1909, Jan. 11; 1909, Jan. 13-1913, June 20 which includes shipments, 1906-1907; 1913, July 2-1918, Apr. 26. Journal, 1902, Aug. 1-1910, Jan., which includes cash entries, orders, commissions, and rents from "Renters in row of new house that were in there 1st of March, 1904-1910, Jan." for ten to fifteen houses, and listing names of renters. Ledger, 1905, May 8-1919, Dec. 10 which includes orders and claims filed for damaged goods and on page 252, rents. Letter copybook, 1904, Apr. 25-1907, Feb. 11 with index; some of the letters are signed by Lawrence Van Buskirk, 1867-1910, by Frank E. Matthews, 1870-1947, and mention is made of Frederick Matthews, 1859-1932, the uncle of Frank E. Matthews. Frederick Matthews and Frank E. Matthews' father, Norbert Williams Matthews, were the sons of John Matthews, a pioneer of the stone industry in Monroe County. Register of Shipments, 1902, Apr. 8-1920, Sept. 18, largely to cities in the midwest and on the east coast.

Collection size: 141 items

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.