Lilly Library Manuscript Collections

ESAREY MSS. II

The Esarey mss. II, 1830-1865, consist of a commission to Jonathan Davis Esarey, 1783-1858, as associate judge of Perry county, Indiana, 1830; deed for the transfer of real estate in Crawford county, Indiana, by John Hughes to Tolbort T. Yates, 1840; land grants to Jonathan Davis Esarey, 1837, 1841, to John Hughes, 1840, 1841, and Jesse Clark Esarey, 1817-1869, soldier, 1858; a commission to Jesse Clark Esarey as an ensign in the 12th regiment, Indiana Militia, 1841; report by Jesse Clark Esarey of the Perry county Oil Rifles, 1865; certificate issued to Jesse Clark Esarey for study and drill at the school of instruction at Burnside Barracks, 1862; a bill for rations furnished for picket duty at Cross Roads near Hitt's blacksmith shop, July 13-18, 1863, at the time of Morgan's Raid by G.W. Hitt; and a diploma to Louisa E. Hight from the Monroe County Female Academy, 1856.

The documents are in an oversize folder.

For biographical information on the Esarey family see R. Carlyle Buley, "Logan Esarey, Hoosier," Indiana Magazine of History, XXXVIII (1942), 337-381.

Collection size: 12 items

Related manuscripts: Esarey mss., Esarey mss. III

For more information about this collection and any related materials contact the Public Services Department, Lilly Library, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Call (812) 855-2452 or send an email using our Ask a Question form.