ESHLEMAN MSS. III
The Eshleman mss. III, 1962-1973, consist primarily of letters from American poet Clayton Eshleman, 1935- , to fellow poets Howard McCord and David Ossman, professor and editor Seamus Cooney, and Black Sparrow Press publisher John Kenneth Martin.
The correspondence with McCord deals primarily with the publication of poet Ted Enslin's poem cycle Synthesis in Caterpillar, while letters to David Ossman talk chiefly of Eshleman's Mexico and North, and his and Ben Bellit's translations of Pablo Neruda poetry. In his letters to Seamus Cooney Eshleman writes about readings of his translations of Vallejo's Poemas Humanos and other readings. Inquiries about potential reading and speaking opportunities constitute the majority of his correspondence with Howard McCord and the two letters to John Kenneth Martin talk of his book Regeneration and his trip to Beaune in France. Also present are two letters to "Eugene," both of which deal primarily with the latter's subscription to Caterpillar, a magazine published and edited by Eshleman from 1967-1973. The correspondence is arranged in chronological order. An index is available.
A photocopy of Hayden Caruth's review of Eshleman's Altars and a Caterpillar Anthology, published in the February 13, 1972 New York Times Book Review, completes the collection.
Index to correspondence
- Eshleman, Clayton. To Cooney, Seamus
- 1966, May 21. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1967, July 26. A.L.S. on back cover of envelope
- 1971, Dec. 21. Postcard
- Eshleman, Clayton. To Martin, John Kenneth
- 1970, June 18. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1973, Dec. 16. T.L.S. 1p. plus enclosure
- Eshleman, Clayton. To McCord, Howard
- 1972, Feb. 13. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, Mar. 22. A.L.S. 1p. Postscript on verso of envelope
- 1972, Mar. 28. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, Apr. 9. A.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, Apr. 28. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, May 14. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, May 26. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1972, Sept. 23. T.L.S. 1p.
- Eshleman, Clayton. To Ossman, David H.
- 1962, Feb. 15. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1962, Mar. 5. T.L.S. 1p.
- 1962, June 25. T.L.S. 1p.
- Eshleman, Clayton. To _______, Eugene
- 1969, Jan. 11. T.L.S. 1p.
- undated. A.L.S. 1p.
- McCord, Howard. To Eshleman, Clayton. All typed carbon copies; all 1p.
- 1972, Mar. 25
- 1972, May 6
- 1972, May 22
- 1972, Sept. 26
Collection size: 22 items